“For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.”



Luke 17:12-19
“Then as He entered a certain village, there met Him ten men who were lepers, who stood far off. And they lifted up their voices and said, 'Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!'

So when He saw them, He said to them, 'Go, show yourselves to the priests.' And so it was that as they went, they were cleansed.

And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, returned, and with a loud voice glorified God, and fell down on his face at His feet giving Him thanks. And he was a Samaritan.

So Jesus answered and said, 'Were there not ten cleansed? But where are the nine? Were there not any found who returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?' And He said to him, 'Arise, go your way. Your faith has made you well.”

There were ten men who had been suffering, standing far off in shame because they were unclean. All of them lifted up their voices and begged Jesus to have mercy on them. Yet only one came back in gratitude. As one commentary notes, the one that returned was Samaritan where then the others are presumed to be Jews. [1]

I notice that only the one who was grateful did Jesus proclaim that his faith had made him well. Could it be that with the other nine, because of their lack of gratitude that they perhaps went back to doing the same thing that had got them there in the first place?

Initially I thought that perhaps the Jews felt entitled in some way and that is why they did not come back. However, all of them had cried out together for God's mercy. If they had felt entitled, they would have probably demanded Jesus to heal them rather than begged for mercy.

Could it be that their religion had hardened their hearts to gratitude towards Jesus? Later, in Luke 18:9-14, Jesus told a parable about brokenness over sin to some Pharisees who “trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others.”

Sometimes we can sing all the religious songs, go to the religious events, do our religious practices such as reading the word, praying, fasting, and tithing and become harder rather than more tender hearted towards God. When we go through the religious motions so we can check an item off our list, it may not be bearing any fruit in our lives at all.

Perhaps part of it was that they were looking to an external kingdom rather than an internal one. They (religious folks) had expectations that the Messiah would come and take over and put them in charge, not walk among them in humility and suffer and die for them so that they could be cleansed internally.

Right on the heals of the unthankful Jews is the scripture about the kingdom of God. Jesus proclaims in Luke 17:20-21, “Now then He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, “The kingdom of God does not come with observation; nor will they say, 'See here! Or 'See there!' For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.”

Most the Pharisees, scribes and teachers of the law were known for their study of scripture. But yet they totally lacked any transformation by it to have compassion and mercy on others. Jesus says in Matthew 23:2-4, “The Pharisees and the teachers of the Law are experts in the Law of Moses.  So obey everything they teach you, but don’t do as they do. After all, they say one thing and do something else.  They pile heavy burdens on people’s shoulders and won’t lift a finger to help.

The Pharisees and Scribes seemed to be tied up in their own expectations. They expected it to come a certain way and they were unable to receive it and embrace it in wonderment like a child rather than control it, manage it and make it work for their own advantage.

A book I am reading lately called “Shaped by the Word” speaks of a “rational filter” by which we filter out God's voice. We lack ears to hear Him (speaking of through His Word in this case). According to the author, Mulholland Jr., we often approach scriptures in a cognitive, rational, and critical mode. We intellectualize them. We stand off from them and evaluate them, judging them in light of how we see and our agenda rather than allowing God to speak to us out of them. [1]

Mulholland goes on to suggest that as we begin to slow down and ask ourselves questions as we read the Word, paying attention to our emotions, our reactions and what is going on in ourselves, we “get in touch with the deeper realities” of our being. [2]

He asks, “What do your responses tell you about your habits, your attitudes, your perspectives, your reactions to life? Are you beginning to learn something about yourself?” He quotes Thomas a Kempis who wrote, “A humble knowledge of ourselves is a surer way to God than is the search for depth of learning.” [3]

Joel Warne in his training session on prayer spoke of moving first inward... into ourselves, then upward toward Christ and finally outward toward others. He noted we first need to befriend our interior condition and become loving toward our own heart. He went on to speak of a prayer that unfolds, unpacks and uncovers rather than controls or manages things. [4]

“For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.”  

Do we really believe this and live by it.... Letting our heart connect with God? Do we live out of this relationship where He leads rather than our expectations?  James 4:8 says, “ Draw near to God [in intimate relationship with Him, setting aside our agendas and expectations and just be with Him– my own interpretation here] and He will draw near to you.” 

One thing I notice about myself is that I often read the scriptures with the idea of a standard of measure I have to achieve. I often read it in a "fix me please God" attitude. I want Him to fix the things that are wrong with me. I see more quickly how I fall short. I tell myself I will work harder and do better.

I also sometimes read it looking for some interesting point to stand out that I have not seen before. Things will stand out to me at times but I will move on quickly because I am trying to get through what I have determined I will read.

But even when I am reading it out of my own filter, sometimes He breaks through the words and talks to me. I suddenly hear Him speak and it takes my breath away. I also notice I love to pray the word as I read it when I am being present to Him. His Word gives me words to speak to Him... they sometimes become our love language to each other.

We do not need to work at it or get it right to draw near to God. He is with us, in us and invites us to dine at His table.

One of my pastors wrote today on his blog:
“Here’s what the prophet Isaiah says to every one of us, ushering us out of our fear and inviting us into something nourishing and tangible, true and available:

If you are thirsty, come here;
come, there’s water for all.
Whoever is poor and penniless can still
come and buy the food I sell.
There’s no cost—here, have some food, hearty and delicious,
and beverages, pure and good.
I don’t understand why you spend your money for things that don’t nourish
or work so hard for what leaves you empty.
Attend to Me and eat what is good;
enjoy the richest, most delectable of things.
Listen closely, and come even closer. My words will give life,
for I will make a covenant with you that cannot be broken, a promise
Of My enduring presence and support like I gave to David.
– Isaiah 55:1-3, The Voice Translation


It’s all right there for us, the table is set, with name cards that lead us to our place at the table.” [6]
And it is in this place of intimacy that we are transformed.  Mulholland Jr writes that is is the steady, consistent, daily nurturing of your lives by the Word that increasingly shapes us in our inner being. He goes on to note that when our inner being is shaped according to His Word, our life in the world will be shaped according to that same Word.    He writes, “Our word will become the word God speaks us forth to be in the lives of others.  Increasingly we will become God's, spoken forth into the life of the world.” [7]

“I want to love You more. I want to know You more. So reach down and touch me” sings.

Lord, that is so my prayer. We want to love You and know You more. We long to drink and dine on Your food that we may be nourished to life and bring that life out to the world with us.

1-3, 5, 7. Mulholland, M. Robert Jr. Shaped by the Word: The Power of Scripture in Spiritual Formation. Upper Room Books, Nashville TN. 2000.

4. Warne, Joel. Prayer: Moving Inward, Upward, Outward. WellSpring Life Resources. 2013.

6. Wiens, Steve. In Case You Were Wondering if God is For You. The Actual Pastor. Located at: http://www.stevewiens.com/      12/9/13 Entry. Last Accessed 12/9/13.



Comments

Popular Posts