Purpose Fulfilled Only in God
Recently, someone sent me a name test that measured how unique a person’s name is. I entered Twila, and not surprisingly, the results said it was fairly unique and considered rare.
The test also said my name meant “Daughter of Heaven.” The name daughter, just hit me to the core.
Years ago, a linguist in Israel told me that my name was connected to a Hebrew word meaning “to pray.” I loved that interpretation. Prayer has always been an important part of my identity and calling.
But I have to admit, “Daughter of Heaven” touched me even more deeply.
Those words reminded me of something I desperately needed to remember: before I am a leader, an employee, a writer, a teacher, or someone who prays for others, I am God’s daughter.
For many years, I worked for an organization where I felt I was serving in a ministry role. I loved the work for this reason--because I believed I was fulfilling a spiritual purpose. Leaving that organization was extremely difficult. At times, I even questioned myself because it felt as though I had walked away from my purpose.
Because I viewed my work as a calling, I often gave too much of myself to it. I worked too many hours and invested more of my energy into my job than was healthy. Eventually, the imbalance was causing me to burn out. The sacrifices were draining me, not fulfilling me.
I had confused one expression of my purpose with the source of my purpose.
My purpose was never limited to an organization, a title, or a particular position. My purpose is to belong to God as His daughter, to know Him, to love Him, and to pray. No matter where I work or what season of life I am in, I can continue to live out that purpose.
My job is one of the many ways I serve, but it is not the foundation of my identity—and it should not receive the highest priority in my life.
My first priority is nurturing my relationship and friendship with God. My second is loving and serving my family. From there, I serve through my work, my church, my community, my writing, and my teaching.
Leaving my previous job did not disqualify me from my purpose. In many ways, it helped me rediscover it. God used that transition to reestablish the proper priorities in my life.
Proverbs 2:7–8 says:
“He holds success in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.”
Pausing for a moment. God plans success in my future. This word is rooted in support, ability, help, undertaking and deliverance. The Lord sets me up for success. I love this related verse from Job 6:13,
"[Is] not my help in me?"
There were moments when I wondered whether I had failed or somehow missed God’s plan. But I did not destroy my future, and I did not step outside His ability to lead me. God was still both guiding and guarding my path. He was redirecting me, protecting me, and restoring order to my life.
Years ago, while I was praying, I had a powerful experience with God. I felt as though He gently placed His hands on my cheeks and told me that He loved me.
In that moment, everything else seemed to wash away—my work, my accomplishments, my responsibilities, and all the things I had believed were so important.
He simply loved me.
He was not loving a future version of me. He was not loving me only because of what I might accomplish someday. He was not waiting for me to become more successful, more disciplined, more healed, or more spiritually mature.
He loved me in that moment, exactly as I was.
With all the areas in which I still needed to grow, He loved me.
That is the truth I am learning to live from today. My worth does not come from what I accomplish for God. My purpose does not disappear when a role ends. I am not valuable because of the title I hold, the hours I work, or the number of people I help.
I am valuable because I am His.
I am a daughter of Heaven.
And wherever He places me, I can walk with Him, pray, love others, and faithfully serve from that secure place of belonging.
Comments