Be a Bold Spirit Led Witness

There are times God calls us to witness to non-Christians. A perfect example of witnessing based upon the leading of the Holy Spirit is in Acts 8:25-40. An angel of the Lord spoke to Philip and told him to go stand on a desert road. There he met an Ethiopian eunuch and the Holy Spirit told Philip to join the Ethiopian and witness to Him about Jesus Christ as the Son of God. Philip witnessed to him, he accepted Jesus as his Savior, and was baptized.

If God told me to go stand on a road in the middle of the desert, I would think it sounded absolutely crazy and be very tempted to shrink back and ask for an easier assignment – even before he asked me to witness to anyone. Following God in obedience can mean stepping out beyond our comfort zone and taking risks when we would rather not. There are numerous examples in the Bible of men and women that stepped out in boldness and courage, despite tremendous odds and excruciating circumstances. They did it with complete disregard for themselves, how they would be received, or what might happen to them.

When Peter and John were arrested and put on trial for proclaiming Jesus, they were commanded not to speak to anyone about Him. Instead of shrinking back, they responded, “Whether it is right in the sight of God to give heed to you rather than to God, you be the judge; for we cannot stop speaking what we have seen and heard” (Acts 4:19:20). Once released, they prayed and were filled with the Holy Spirit which gave them the boldness to keep boldly proclaiming the word.

Witnessing to others is not always easy (at least for me). Putting ourselves in positions of vulnerability where we can be rejected, ridiculed or look like a complete fool is scary. When God calls us to witness to someone, we need to step forward and not shrink back in fear or complacency. Shrinking back in fear and self-protection is never by the direction of the Lord. We need to say with David, “With you [God] I storm the rampart, with my God I can scale any wall” (2 Samuel 22:30). As we step forward with our eyes on God, He will give us the boldness and clarity we need to be the witness He has called us to be.

Those who know the good they ought to do and don’t, sin (James4:17). Too often it is easier to sit back in complacency and not be a bold witness when God calls us to speak up. I do not want to fall short of all God called me into and sit complacently by in my comfort zone, not being willing to step beyond myself or fear of man. Following Him is truly worth everything – and I don’t want to miss out on it!

May His beauty rest upon me,
As I seek the lost to win,
And may they forget the channel,
Seeing only Him.
—Kate B. Wilkinson

Comments

Popular Posts