Be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord...

In 1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV), Paul tells the Corinthians, "Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

Paul not only spoke these words, he demonstrated them by the way he lived and called the church body to follow his example. In 1 Corinthians 11:1 Paul tells the Corinthians, "Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ."

And 2 Corinthians 6:3-10 Paul writes to the Corinthians church, "We put no obstacle in anyone's way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry, but as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: by great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, sleepless nights, hunger; by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love; by truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; through honor and dishonor, through slander and praise. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold, we live; as punished, and yet not killed; as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything."

Believer's Bible Commentary notes that "The truth of resurrection changes everything." It provides hope and steadfastness, enabling us to face even great difficulty.1 Paul goes on to write in 2 Corinthians 7:4b, "In all our affliction, I am overflowing with joy."

I am so grateful that being steadfast and immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord does not involve beatings, imprisonments, or riots (for me). So how do I apply 1 Corinthians 15:58 to my life?

In Luke 18:1-8 Jesus tells a parable with the purpose of the necessity to "pray always without becoming weary." Eugene Peterson in his book "Tell it Slant" writes that praying is what is done as we are preparing the way for the Lord, as we are following Christ. It is not meant to be a separate, unengaged activity. As he writes, prayer is the language of communicating with God.

In the Parable, a widow comes to a judge and asks for justice. Eventually the judge gives her justice, not because he feared God, but because she was persistent. Jesus says of this, "And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily."

Persistence, as Eugene Peterson notes, is bold and persevering in asking God for what is needed. In the parable, the widow was not detoured by the fact that the judge did not fear God or regard any man. She asked for justice continually until she received it.

It brings me back to the worship leader I wrote about previously who played his guitar with all his heart when no one could hear him. I felt God speaking to me to live life this way, giving my worship to Him no matter what circumstances look like. God would have us live every moment of life fully -not backing down or giving up because of difficult circumstances. It is not our circumstances that matter but our hearts in worshiping God in the moment.

"The time has come for me
To leave this place of complacency
And step out across that line
To the place where I
Can leave all that I have behind
And give you this heart of mine

But what if I'm the only one to break the silence?
What if I'm the only one to crack the ice?

I'll join the rocks with their singing
I'll join the ocean as it harmonizes with the shore
I'll clap my hands with the mountains
As all creation cries for more
I'll never stop, if I'm the last one living
Your song goes on and on and I must testify
I know that I was born to worship
So if all the singing seems to stop
I'll join the rocks"2

When I become complacent and want to give up, I often blame my circumstances. I say to myself, "If only my circumstances were different then I could..." I see my circumstances as preventing me from "abounding in the work of the Lord" and I resent my circumstances. I complain about my situation and feel discouraged. However, Psalm 112 reminds us that our circumstances cannot cause us to be moved. It is only our own discouragement resulting in our giving up that causes us to fail.

Psalm 112:6-8 says,
"For the righteous will never be moved;
he will be remembered forever.
He is not afraid of bad news;
his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord.
His heart is steady; he will not be afraid,
until he looks in triumph on his adversaries."

Paul was overflowing with joy in his afflictions because he knew his labors were not in vain. He set His eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of his faith (Hebrews 12:2). In John 16:23-24 Jesus told His disciples, "This is what I want you to do: Ask the Father for whatever is in keeping with the things I've revealed to you. Ask in my name, according to my will, and he'll most certainly give it to you. Your joy will be a river overflowing its banks!"

Lord, I long to live in faith, trusting in You and giving You my all. Too often I have become complacent and looked for an escape route when circumstances have became too difficult for me. Forgive me. More than anything, I desire to worship you with the way I live my life. Teach me to be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord.

Comments

Popular Posts