His Steadfast Love Endures Forever - Let the redeemed of the Lord say so!

"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, for whom he has redeemed from trouble an gathered in from the lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south.

Some wondered in desert wastes, finding no way to a city to dwell in; hungry and thirsty, and their soul fainted within them. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble and he delivered them from their distress. He led them by a straight way till they reached a city to dwell in. Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things."

Some sat in darkness and in the shadow of death, prisoners in affliction and in irons, for they had rebelled against the words of God, and spurned the counsel of the Most High. So he bowed their hearts down with hard labor; they fell down, with none to help. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and burst their bonds apart. Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! For he shatters the doors of bronze and cuts in two the bars of iron.


"I know from experience, you are good... words cannot describe Oh God, everything You are to me" sings.

Some were fools through their sinful ways, and because of their iniquities suffered affliction; they loathed any kind of food, and they drew near to the gates of death. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He sent out his word and healed them, and delivered them from their destruction. Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! And let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving, and tell of his deeds in songs of joy!

"He gave us all that He had to give, so that we could truly live, so let's give all that we have to Him, so we can be completely free" sings.

Some went down to the sea in ships, doing business on the great waters; they saw the deeds of the Lord, his wondrous works in the deep. For he commanded and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea. They mounted up to heaven; they went down to the depths; their courage melted away in their evil plight; they reeled and staggered like drunken men and were at their wits' end. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven. Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! Let them extol him in the congregation of the people, and praise him in the assembly of the elders.

He turns rivers into a desert, springs of water into thirsty ground a fruitful land into a salty waste, because of the evil of its inhabitants. He turns a desert into pools of water, a parched land into springs of water. And there he lets the hungry dwell, and they establish a city to live in; they sow fields and plant vineyards and get a fruitful yield. By his blessing they multiply greatly, and he does not let their livestock diminish. When they are diminished and brought low through oppression, evil and sorrow, he pours contempt on princes and makes them wander in trackless wastes; but he raises up the needy out of affliction and makes their families like flocks. The upright see it and are glad, and all wickedness shuts its mouth.

Whoever is wise, let him attention to those things; let him consider the steadfast love of the Lord."
(Psalm 107)

"With God are wisdom and insight, he has counsel and understanding. If he tears down, none can rebuild; if he shuts a man in, none can open. If he withholds the waters, they dry up, if he sends them out, they overwhelm the land. With him are strength and sound wisdom. (Job 12:13-14)

Sometimes I struggle with understanding God's wisdom. I look at a situation and I think to myself, "Where is God in this? How could He allow this?" I pray for the situation to change and the suffering to stop because it is incredibly painful. I can't understand why He would allow some to suffer so tremendously when He can so easily fix it.

Sometimes what I am really doing is doubting His goodness in my heart. I want Him to be God according to my ways. The problem is my uncomfortably with other people's suffering. Too often I am looking for everyone to be comfortable and life to be good to them. I think God is present in their life and evident because they are happy and life is good. The answer to pain and suffering is God. If they only know God, they would not suffer.

"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. The Lord works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed. He made known his ways to Moses, his acts to the People of Israel. The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger forever. He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;" (Psalm 103:1-11).

Suffering can be good when it leads someone to know God or turn back to God out of living a life of sin. In my own life, I had tremendous hopelessness and despair. "Some sat in darkness and in the shadow of death, prisoners in affliction and in irons." Yet it was my suffering that eventually drove me to God. In all my suffering, God made himself known to me. And as I cried out to God, he delivered me and set me free. He brought me "out of darkness and the shadow of death, and burst [my] bonds apart." I am incredibly grateful. He loved me to life. I know His goodness and His mercy deeply in my own life. "He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities (Psalm 103:11)."

When people are in tremendous pain and suffering because of their own sin and rebellion, to love them to life is to help them identify their sin and repent of it, while having empathy for their pain. To have sympathy for them in the midst of their suffering while failing to confront that which needs to change does not help them. What would benefit them most is not as much an end to their suffering as a change in heart away from rebellion and sin. They have a choice, in brokenness to repent or to refuse to acknowledge it and continue in their suffering.

Suffering and affliction can be a good teacher. Psalm 119:67, 71 says, "Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word... It is good for me that I was afflicted that I might learn your statutes."

Sometimes, people become bitter and curse God in their affliction. The tragedy is their choices and refusal to repent more than their resulting pain. I spoke to someone recently who hated God, hated people and wanted to die. What probably would have helped them the most was not just sympathy for this person's wanting to die, but helping this person to see they were making choices leading to their pain (it was not all God and other people).

Not all suffering is the result of sin and rebellion.

Some choose to suffer for the benefit of others. Jesus suffered for our benefit. Hebrews 2:9 says, "But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone." Jesus endured the cross, "for the joy set before Him" (Hebrews 12:2). He willingly entered into suffering for our benefit.

Psalm 22:14-18, "I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast; my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death. For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet -I can count all my bones- they stare and gloat over me; they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots."

The Apostles counted it joy to suffer for Christ. Acts 5:40-42 says, "...and after calling the apostles in, they flogged them and ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and then released them. So they went on their way from the presence of the Council, rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name."

Choosing to enter into suffering for the benefit of others is being invited to walk in the very steps of Jesus. It is an honor and a privilege. Peter says in 1 Peter 2:21, "For to this you have been called [suffering for doing good], because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.

In 2 Corinthians 1:6, Paul and Timothy tell the church at Corinthians that they (Paul and Timothy) suffer not just so that the church would be the benefactors, but that the church may also "patiently endure the same sufferings that we are suffering."

Some years ago, I had the opportunity to interview some of the senior leaders at the University. One thing I noted about several of them was that they felt investing in the students was not the final goal but it was also important students were making a contribution to society.

Paul saw the goal not just as him investing in the church, but that the church then followed Christ's footsteps and suffered for the benefit of others. Love willing lays down one's life and chooses to suffer for the benefit of another. Jesus says in John 15:13, "There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends."

It is acting loving towards someone to encourage them towards self-sacrifice, being willing to suffer for the benefit of others (especially their spouse and children) over self protection.

Sometimes suffering also just happens because of the fallen world we live in.

One day God is going to wipe away every tear from our eyes. "There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away" (Revelation 21:4). Until that day, we will suffer. Job 14:1 says, "Man who is born of woman is of few days and full of trouble."

It reminds us not to hold too tightly to this world - this is not our end destination. I think of the song "sometimes He calms the storm and other times He calms His child." Sometimes in the midst of suffering, God moves mountains and changes our circumstances. God does heal, He delivers, He redeems... He works powerfully on our behalf. There is example after example in both the Old and New Testaments of the Kingdom of God coming in power and healing, delivering, and changing circumstances.

"Happy the man who has the God of Jacob to help him, whose hope is fixed on Yahweh his God, maker of heaven and earth, and the sea, and all that these hold! Yahweh, forever faithful, gives justice to those denied it, gives food to the hungry, gives liberty to prisoners. Yahweh restores sight to the blind, Yahweh straightens the bent, Yahweh protects the stranger, he keeps the orphan and widow" (Psalm 146:5-7).

In my own life, I have seen and experienced His power moving mountains. I am incredibly grateful.

Psalm 18:4-17,
"The waves of death encircled me, the torrents of Belial burst on me; the cords of Sheol girdled me, the snares of death were before me. In my distress I called to Yahweh and to my God I cried; from his Temple he heard my voice, my cry came to his ears. Then the earth quivered and quaked, the foundations of the mountains trembled... He bent the heavens and came down."

It is not wrong to ask God to move mountains on someones behalf or hope in His goodness to shine forth in a circumstance. However, if God does not change our circumstance, He is still God and He is still good -even in His silence.

Sometimes, instead of changing our circumstances, He gives us the strength to go through them. David cries out in Psalm 138:3,7-8, "The day I called for help, you heard me and you increased my strength... Though I live surrounded by trouble, you keep me alive -to my enemies fury! You stretch your hand out and save me, your right hand will do everything for me. Yahweh, your love is everlasting, do not abandon us whom you have made."

While we can ask for God to change circumstances on our behalf, we cannot manipulate Him or force His hand. Getting all the actions right or trying to pump up extra faith does not change God's mind (Numbers 23:19). All His judgements our righteous and just (Psalm 89:14).

The truth is that while God may be silent at times in our suffering, He is always with us, offering us His love and bringing us what we need. David asks in Psalm
139:7, "Where could I go to escape your spirit? Where could I flee from your presence? If I climb the heavens, you are there, there too, if I lie in Sheol." He never leaves us or forsakes us (Duet. 31:8) and is always working for our good (Romans 8:28).

When someone is suffering in tremendous pain and can't understand why God is not changing their circumstances, God has not let go or forsaken them. God is working all things out for good in their lives. God is in their midst bringing them what they need. Reminding them of this and being with them in their pain is probably what they most need.

Sometimes God uses what we suffer to help others. I read a note from someone who had a life long disease they suffered. They now find joy in using their experience to minister to others. Yet, this person would not be able to minister to others the same if they had not went through the suffering and difficulties.

I find I feel the same way about my childhood. My spiritual director recently asked me what my life would look like if I started with a blank page. Ironically, the first thing I asked her to put on the page was my painful childhood and the difficulties I had suffered in life. Not that I enjoyed suffering them but they drove me to God and I can now use them to help others going through similar pain. Had I not went through the suffering, I would not be able to help others in the same way.

James 1:2-3 tells us to “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.” As a young lady, Leah, notes in her blog "This is how we grow; this is how we mature. And we know that through these trials, we can trust in the Lord because His promises are true."1 God uses suffering and pain in our lives to cause us to grow, mature as Christians and become comforters of others in their pain.

Lord, forgive me where I have been doubting your goodness because of the suffering around me. Sometimes I don't understand Your ways but Your mercy is inescapable. You are good and Your "steadfast love endures forever." Thank you for your patience in leading me. Direct me in Your ways.

I come back to one of the prayers I have sitting in my prayer room,

"Lord, Help me to bring comfort where there is pain.
Courage where there is fear.
Hope where there is despair
Acceptance when the end is near
And a touch gentle with tenderness, patience and love."



1. http://followinhissteps.blogspot.com/2008/01/blog-post.html

Comments

Popular Posts