“...the righteous gives and does not hold back.” (Prov. 21:26)

“Then he went back in the meeting place where he found a man with a crippled hand. The Pharisees had their eyes on Jesus to see if he would heal him, hoping to catch him in a Sabbath infraction. He said to the man with the crippled hand, 'Stand here where we can see you.' Then he spoke to the people: 'What kind of action suits the Sabbath best? Doing good or doing evil? Helping people or leaving them helpless?' No one said a word.

He looked them in the eye, one after another, angry now, furious at their hard-nosed religion. He said to the man, 'Hold out your hand.' He held it out -it was as good as new! The Pharisees got out as fast as they could, sputtering about how they would join forces with Herod's followers and ruin him.” (Mark 3:1-6)

Mark is a book of action. “The phrase "and immediately" occurs nearly forty times in Mark.” [1] As Life Application Bible Commentary notes, “Mark records more of Jesus' miracles than sermons. Jesus is clearly a man of power and action, not just words.” [2]

Life Application Bible Commentary goes on to state, “Jesus had all the power of almighty God: He raised the dead, gave sight to the blind, restored deformed bodies, and quieted stormy seas. But with all this power, Jesus came to mankind as a servant. [3]

Mark highlights Jesus as the servant of all. As commentary notes about the Book of Mark, “He did not come as a conquering king; he came as a servant. He helped people by telling them about God and healing them. Even more, by giving his life as a sacrifice for sin, he performed the ultimate act of service.”

This was the opposite from what people in His day were familiar with. Many did not recognize or acknowledge Him as the Messiah because he was as a humble servant. [5] They expected the Messiah to come and rule like the leaders of their day, freeing them from Rome rule. Instead, in Matthew 5:41 Jesus told them, "If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles."

The leaders of the day lorded their authority over others rather than using their gifts to serve (Mark 10:42). Jesus, rather than demanding service from others, served and gave freely. Jesus said in Matthew 5:42, "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

Instead of lording His authority over people, He told his disciples in Mark 10:43, “Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

"I wonder what life would be like if we let Jesus live through you and me."

In Mark 4:24-25 (MSG), Jesus says, “Listen carefully to what I am saying -and be wary of the shrewd advice that tells you how to get ahead in the world on your own. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity. Stinginess impoverishes.”

Proverbs 3:27 says, Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it .” And Proverbs 21:26 says, “...the righteous gives and does not hold back.”

Over and over, through the book of Mark, people brought the sick, lame, wounded and demon possessed to Jesus and implored Him to touch them, heal them and deliver them. Jesus gave freely to the people who looked to Him with what He had to give -healing, deliverance, and forgiveness. Even when one did not have enough faith in Jesus to be able to deliver his son, rather than refuse his request, Jesus met the father where he was at in his faith and gave to him what was needed.

The father told Jesus, “'But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.' 'If you can?' said Jesus. 'Everything is possible for one who believes.' Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, 'I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!'”

Jesus had compassion on and met people's needs when they looked to Him. However, he did not indulge their whims. At the same time as healing freely all who asked, Jesus refused to perform for those who came demanding a sign. In Mark 8:12, when the Pharisees came seeking a sign, 'Sighing deeply in His spirit, He said, 'Why does this generation seek for a sign? Truly I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation.'”

“You have given me more than I could ever have wanted. And I want to give You my heart and my soul... I'm alive” sings in the background.

Serving others and giving to them are aspects of love in action. This may include giving of one's time, attention, resources, encouragement /words of affirmation, loyalty, and / or discipline (correction). It can include using one's unique giftings in a way that blesses others, sharing one's heart / being vulnerable, physical touch, and /or simple acts of kindness. These are all aspects of love in action.

Giving to others and serving them involve some sort of sacrifice on the part of the giver. Jesus gave freely without complaint or grudging. Rather, he was filled with compassion and had a desire to freely give.

In Mark 1:40-41, “A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, 'If you are willing, you can make me clean.' Jesus was [filled with compassion]. He reached out his hand and touched the man. 'I am willing,' he said. 'Be clean!' Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cleansed.”

Deuteronomy 15:10 says, “Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.”

John Ortberg writes that our spiritual maturity is not measured by us getting the actions right and following rules. Rather, it is measured by our capacity to love. We flourish and are most alive when we use our gifts, resources and energies to love others in the unique way that God designed us. He writes, “That is the dance.”

“You raise me up to more than I can be” plays in the background.

One person writes about spiritual dancing:


“I only had to realize that I always did, as the greatest 'Dancer’ of All, dances through me. And I needed was to learn to allow, once again; to stop fighting the flow any more, to simply learn to play along with the melody of life, and that is when I began to dance!

And soon it took me to places I could have never visited on my own, the darkest and brightest corners of my being and that of the Universe.

This dance is but a mighty river of joy when we choose to dance along to its flow. Your every cell knows it, when you are dancing with the flow, as it is born out of this flow.

Yet there is great stillness in this dance, an immense awareness of the presence, and sweet occurrences of synchronicity only add to the sweetness of this giant reservoir of love, that Life itself is.” [6]

Paul writes in Galatians 3:11-12 (MSG), “The person who lives in right relationship with God does it by embracing what God arranges for Him. Doing things for God is the opposite of entering into what God does for you.”

Jesus lived serving and giving His life away to others out of the overflow of fully living in the love of His Father and fully being who His Father called Him to be. In this place of giving His life away, serving others out of the overflow of love, He had tremendous joy in the sacrifice.

Hebrews 12:2 says, “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

In John 15:9-13, Jesus tells His disciples, “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.”

In this place of freely giving away our lives to others in sacrificial service, out of the overflow of love from Jesus, we flourish. John Ortberg notes, Psalm 92:12-13 says, “The righteous will flourish like a palm tree... they will flourish in the courts of our God.” As the people of God, we are meant to flourish in God's love in such a way that it overflows on those around us. [7]

Ortberg writes, “Your flourishing self works out of a richness and desire to contribute. You live with a sense of calling. How much money you make does not matter as much as doing what you love and what creates value. You become resilient in suffering. You get better. You grow.”

This is the opposite of being very disciplined, gritting one's teeth and doing what we are supposed to do in a legalistic manner. Ortberg notes, “God designed us to delight in our actual lives. When I am growing toward the me I want to be, I am being freed from the me I pretend to be. I no longer try to convince people I am important while secretly fearing I am not.” [8']

“Free to live, free to give, free to be, I'm free to love You!” sings.

The 'me I want to be' according to Ortberg, is like an acorn becoming an oak tree, it is who God made me to be. This is different that who we often think we 'should be.' As Ortberg notes, the two are at odds with each other, He quotes Henri Nouwen who wrote, “Spiritual greatness has nothing to do with being greater than others. It has everything to do with being as great as each of us can be.” [9]

It is the false self, “an illusion of misplaced pride, ego, and neediness -the me I thought I was supposed to be” that we are to bring to the cross so that the real me can come to life. We also need to let go of the self that others want us to be. Ortberg notes, “everyone in your life wants you to change... Everybody has an agenda for you... If I spend my life trying to become that me, I will never be free.” [10]

Languishing is a condition where someone has lost their sense of hope and meaning. Basically, when one languishes, they have given up on themselves, their life's purpose, and their growth. This may be due to failure, discouragement, and/or inability to receive God's love. For whatever reason one languishes, the result is weariness of soul and inability to delight in life. They are going through the motions. It is a hindrance to the 'me I am meant to be' according to Ortberg. He writes, “Languishing is the opposite of flourishing.” He states, “But there is a person inside of you waiting to come alive.” [11]

It most glorifies God when we most fully become alive to who God has us to be. [13] Howard Thurman once said, "Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. "

So how do we come alive and 'flourish?'

As Ortberg notes, it never happens when our focus is on ourselves. We find the greatest source of discontentment when we look out for 'number one' as Ortberg calls it. He writes, "It is tied to a grander and nobler vision. The world badly needs wise and flourishing human beings, and we are called to bring God's wisdom and glory to the world. The truth is, those who flourish always bring blessing to others -and they can do so in the most unexpected and humble circumstances.” [12]

Paul says in Philippians 2: 1-4 (MSG), "If you've gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care— then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don't push your way to the front; don't sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don't be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand."

Ortberg writes that it is as we remain connected to God that a life of flourishing is possible. He writes, “If a river flows, life flourishes. If a river dries up, life dies. So it is with you and the Spirit... One of the signs that you are in the flow of the Spirit is a sense of God-given vitality and joyful aliveness overflowing in you.” [13]

Jesus says in John 15:5, “I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you're joined with me, and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can't produce a thing.”

As Pastor Dave has noted on occasion and John Ortberg also notes, when someone bumps into us, what spills out reveals what is inside. When one is full of the Spirit, the spillover is that of love, gentleness, kindness, patience, goodness, grace, mercy, and self control rather than anger, impatience, frustration, envy, jealousy, resentment, backbiting, superiority, grudges, etc.

Ortberg writes that, “The Spirit never just flows in us; he always flows through us so that others might flourish as well.” As he states, “When I am in the flow of the Spirit, sin looks bad and God looks good. When I experience gratitude, contentment, and satisfaction deep in my soul, there is a good chance it is the Spirit flowing within." [14]

Our job, as Ortberg writes, is not to get in the way. “Don't quench the Spirit.” What gets in the way of the flow of the Spirit are struggles with resentment, anger, greed superiority, etc. [15]. When we indulge these urges rather than take them to the cross, it results in us diminishing rather than flourishing.

Jesus says in John 10:10, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”

To enter into the flow of the abundant life, we need to fully surrender our hearts to God. Ortberg writes, that we need to get out of the drivers seat. The way to victory over our sinful nature is not trying harder, it is surrender. Ortberg writes that we don't need to try hard, rather we need to trust there is a river and enter the flow. [16]

Jesus says in Mark 8:34(MSG), "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self."

Jesus is fully capable of leading. Ortberg writes, “You don't want to miss the dance. It is why you were born. And God leads it, not just for today, but into eternity. There is a God. It is not you. Save the last dance...” [17]

David says in Psalm 139:13-16, “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”

It is God who creates our desires and passion. Ortberg writes, “God created desire, and it is God's delight to fulfill desire. I know that my desires are distorted by sin and need to be cleansed, purified, and retrained. This is what Jesus refers to when he says, 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.' We must say no to any desires that would keep us from living in the flow of the Spirit. We must always be ready to sacrifice a lesser desire for the sake of living a greater life.” [18]

However, even godly desires can get out of whack when we put them before our relationship with Jesus. David desired to be king, but he never grasped for it. Instead, he embraced the path that God had for Him, entering the flow of the river and allowing the current to form and shape Him for his eventual rule. Had David chose ruling, like Saul, above His relationship with Jesus, he would have sold his very soul for something hollow, shallow, and void of life. He realized kingship had no value on it's own.

Practicing spiritual disciplines can draw us closer to God and cause us to flourish. John Ortberg notes that they are simply an activity we can engage in that makes us feel fully alive. Each of us is made unique, so they will look different for each person. However, this is not, as he notes, the same as “doing whatever feels good in the moment.” It is also not following a distorted list of 'what counts.' He writes, “Working with joy, tipping generously, listening to someone patiently, eating gratefully, reading quietly, playing happily -it all counts! Every moment is a chance to live in the flow of the Spirit.” [19]

Lastly, it is important to know who God made us uniquely so that we say 'yes' to the right activities. So we don't fill up our schedule with doing things for God rather than embracing what He has for us. Ortberg writes, “God desires to fill you with life, and you cannot get filled up when you are engaged too much in an activity that drains you.” [20] Also, when we spread ourselves too thin, we do nothing well.

So what can I learn from this?

Many years ago, when I was a fairly new Christian, God spoke to me through a poem I wrote as I was listening to what He was speaking to me. I didn't know the first thing about who God created me to be and was far from 'entering the flow.' Fear, need for security and a need for approval kept me striving to please Him and others rather than coming alive to His purpose for me. Perfect love drives out all fear (1 John 4:18). But I only knew in my head of His love, and understood it very little in my heart. I wrote from Him:

Precious Daughter, don’t you know,
How it is I love you so?
You are my daughter, created with much thought,
Just perfect for the purpose which you are sought.
I will be there to guide the way,
To hold you, teach you, and protect you from stray.
Just hold out your hand and trust in me,
Then my dear, wait and see.
Let go of the striving and trying to please,
You desire approval to feel at ease.
Your security is held tight in my hand,
As I’ve promised you Twila, the Promised Land.

Yes, of course I call you by name,
You’re uniquely separate and not the same.
Learn to be who you are,
With your own special gifts step out and apart.
Trust in my Word as I speak to you,
Remember that I will see you through.
Don’t let fear keep you away,
From all I have for you each day.
You are special in my eyes and I do care,
No matter the problem, I will be there.
As I have gained confidence more and more in His love for me over the years, a great deal of the fear and need for security from my environment has been driven out. And as I am free from the fear, striving to please, seeking approval, and looking for security, I am more and more free to come alive in Him to His purposes. And I am more at peace.

To be fully alive in Him is to use what God has given to me (resources, time, and unique gifts) to love others. And as Ortberg writes, “To love someone is to desire and work towards their becoming the best version of themselves.” [21] The more we mature in Christ, the more capacity we have to love others.

“I know there must be a way to sing a greater song, a greater song to you on the earth... Hallelujah we want to lift you higher” sings.

Out of the passion and the desires of my heart, I use my unique gifts to love others well and help them in becoming the 'best version' of themselves. It is in living out God's purposes for my life that I will find real life, peace and contentment (despite difficulties, storms, and challenges).

There was nothing Paul would rather do than preach the gospel. When he did it, it caused others to grow and flourish. At the same time, he came fully alive in doing it. It was something that was in him. He was able to endure and weather the storms because he was doing with Jesus what he was most passionate about. Paul was totally at peace with himself, God and others in doing what He was called to do.

I am not at all wired like Paul. I would hate to boldly enter into places where the gospel has not been heard and just start preaching. It would be the last thing in the world that would bring me energy. It would completely drain me as I would worry for weeks on end about what I would say and how people would receive me.

So how am I wired? What are the unique gifts God has given me to love others with?

What makes me come alive most is sharing God's heart in prayer and being His friend -caring about what He cares about. I love when He lets me in on what He is doing, tells me about it beforehand, and/or shares with me His emotions about it. This is especially true when it relates to the people in my life -the people I carry on my heart.

I love to hear His voice. I love to know about what is on God's heart, pray about it with Him, and watch Him bring it to pass. It is such holy ground to be trusted with something that is on His heart. There is no greater joy for me than to see God bring forth His purposes and share in it with Him. It makes me feel incredibly close to Him.

Writing and reflection on scripture are means by which I most easily connect with God. I love the Bible. And for whatever reason, I seem to hear God best and get a greater sense of what He is speaking to me when I write so I enjoy writing.

Personal relationships is something that energizes me much more than groups of people. Identifying, drawing out and encouraging other's potential are all things that make me feel alive. I love listening to others for what God is doing/speaking in their lives, believing in them according to God's purposes for them, and empowering them to act.

When invited, I greatly enjoy praying for people, helping them to see where God is working in their lives, mentoring, and/or encouraging them to step out in faith.

When people share their heart and are open and real with me, I feel like I am standing on holy ground. I especially feel honored to stand along side someone before God who is hurting, emotionally wounded, feeling hopeless, helpless, or mentally ill.

Also, seeing young adults and other young people in love with God energizes me. I love to see young people, especially young adults, passionate about God and about His purposes in their lives. I love to see them fully alive in God, adventurously and boldly stepping out into all God has for them.

Father, thank you for loving me. Thank you for never letting go of me and always being available. Thank you that you have created each one of us with individual desires and unique gifts that you call us to as we enter into the dance with You. I love the thought that a dance is intimate, one-to-one, and face-to-face. There is nothing we would rather do in this life than dance with You. Draw us into this dance. And give us much grace as we learn and grow, letting you lead.

“Don't let go. Only one dance left... You're gonna get what you give” sings in the background.




1. Wikipedia. Gospel of Mark. Located at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Mark. Last Accessed: 5/31/10

2.-5. Life Application Bible Commentary. New American Standard Bible. Tyndale House Publishers, Wheaton, Il. 2000.

6. Abhishek Joshi. How did you learn to dance? Best Answer Chosen by 'the chameleon.' Located at: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071218162023AAufAXS. Last Accessed: 5/31/10

7.-21. Ortberg, John. The Me I Want To Be: Becoming God's best version of you. Zondervan, Grand Rapids, MI. 2010.

Comments

Popular Posts