Psalm 100:2 says, “Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs

... because you did not serve YHWH your God in joy and in good-feeling of heart of of the abundance of everything.” (Deuteronomy 28:47)

One commentary notes about this, “Because thou servedst not the Lord thy God,.... By attending his worship, and keeping his commandments: with joyfulness and gladness of heart, for the abundance of all things; which they enjoyed in the land of Canaan, a land that abounded with all good things; which laid them under great obligations to serve the Lord: and yet, as they were wanting in a ready attendance on his worship, and in a cheerful obedience to his laws, so in their sacrifices, of praise and thanksgivings for their manifold mercies; and, because of all this, the curses written in this book came upon them.” [1]

Commentary notes they neglected God, worshiping Him, being grateful to Him and delighting in obedience to Him for trying to fill themselves on the abundance of the land. Their attention moved off to God and on to the stuff around them. They became pleasure lovers and all about filling themselves.

When one is looking to fill themselves, they will not be satisfied and they will crave more. What one has is not good enough when there is more to be had. Like the Israelites who craved meat, they will crave those things that might fill them up.

When things do not go as planned, it sometimes can be easy to fall into complaining. We complain to people about our circumstances, complain to God about what we are going through, and/or complain to others about someone else. In the middle of having so much abundance we (okay me) sometimes lack gratitude for the abundance of all things we have been given. We expect circumstances to cater and be accommodating to what we want and desire.

When I went to Haiti a year ago on a mission trip, there was no hot water and showers were limited due to water availability. When we slept at night, several people were bitten by bugs that left little red marks. We slept on little cots, were without air conditioning and only had fans because we brought our own.

While I only lived in these circumstances for a few weeks, I was living among people who would consider our accommodations a luxury. And the kids who we lived among struggled daily with physical limitations.

Yet, in the midst of this environment, people did not complain. They were so grateful to be at this place -they loved it. It was a safe place where there was food, a place to sleep, and lots of love by the staff. Among such poverty all around, people were full of joy and grateful for what they had.

Sometimes I think it is because of the overabundance of stuff that we struggle as much as we do. It is hard to be grateful for the little things when we have so much. And it is easy to find many other things to fill us. Indulgence is a sin that draws us further from God and leaves us craving more.

Sometime ago, I had a dream that a Haitian woman was making cookies. She was a strong spiritual woman. When I went to get some cookies, what I heard spoke to me was that my over indulgent appetite was keeping me from being as connected with God. It was suffocating my relationship and I had to choose which I would sacrifice.

The problem is that I sometimes choose wrongly. When I think about it, I want to choose God, but in the moment, I take the small indulgences. Usually this is when I am disappointed and frustrated. Or sometimes it is anger at God in the moment or discontentment over something that didn't turn out as I hoped.

Solomon was someone who started out well, desiring wisdom to serve God. But later, as he was surrounded with abundance, he drowned in indulgence. He did not end the same way he started. Indulgence in riches, women and the things of the world, filled his heart and left no room for God.

Ecclesiastes 6:7-9 says, “All man’s efforts are for his mouth, yet his appetite is never satisfied. What advantage has a wise man over a fool? What does a poor man gain by knowing how to conduct himself before others? Better what the eye sees than the roving of the appetite. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.”

Self indulgence is no difference than the sin of greed. Matthew 23:25 says, “"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.”

Self-indulgence is any excess in gratifying our own desires, papering, humoring or spoiling ourselves. We choose luxury and comfort over serving. We choose any excessive satisfaction of self, or yielding to whims to satisfy our sensual appetites for the purpose of pleasing the self. [2]

Philippians 3:18-19 says, “For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ. They are headed for destruction. Their god is their appetite, they brag about shameful things, and they think only about this life here on earth.”

Paul warns in 2 Timothy 3:1-5, “You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times.  For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good.  They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God.  They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!”

What's it going to be today, lust or devotion?” sings.

On the other hand, the lack of ever allowing oneself any comfort or pleasures can also be unhealthy. One can go to the other extreme and deny themselves any comforts at the expense of their health.

Above all else I choose You” sings.

What matters is not what we eat or drink but the heart behind our choices. If I am enjoying comforts and luxuries in the moment as a gift from God with a heart of gratitude, using them as opportunities to love God and others, it is not sin.

What is sin is when, like Solomon, we seek to fill our appetites on the things of the world. One's decisions are made out of their own pleasure, comfort, and satisfaction of self over serving and loving others and God. We are not enjoying things of the world out of gratitude and celebration of God but a looking to be satisfied or consoled by them. And feeding on luxuries, comforts and pleasures with this heart gives us a little satisfaction in the moment but ultimately leaves us craving and discontent.

Ecclesiastes 2:1, “I said to myself, “Come on, let’s try pleasure. Let’s look for the ‘good things’ in life.” But I found that this, too, was meaningless.”

The answer to indulgence is not necessarily abstinence but gratitude and devotion. Rather than looking for things in this world to satisfy us and fill us up, we look to God. Our contentment can only be found in him. If there are things in our lives that are leading to dissatisfaction, we repent and ask for God's help to put those areas in our lives to death.

If we die with Him, we will live with Him” sings.

Lord, forgive me for whenever I have tried to fill discontentment, stress or frustration with anything the world has to offer. Your are the source of all good things. Give us hearts fully devoted to You.


Dear God,


Sometimes my life is so rushed that

I have a hard time remembering to be grateful.
And even when I do remember I don't pause to say thanks.



So help me to remember all the things for which I'm thankful.



For my friends, who make me laugh and keep me laughing at myself.

For my family, who you chose to be with me -- sometimes for reasons I can't quite see!

For my religious community, which invites me to connect with you in new ways.

For my job, which helps me put food on the table and clothes on my back.



And if I have no family or friends, or don't have a job, let me still be grateful.



For my country, which gives me the freedom to be the person I hope to become.

For my health, which helps me to praise you, and enables me to help others in need.

For the world itself, which you crown with your beauty.

And if I'm still not feeling grateful, increase my gratitude for little things.

For seeing a tree slowly turn red in the fall.

For the surprising cold of the first snowflake on my face.

For hearing a child's laughter on a sad day.

For seeing a beautiful sunset after a tough week.



And if I'm still not grateful,

or am too rushed to savor all you have given me,

Please increase my openness to gratitude.

Magnify my ability to appreciate life.

And help me grow in thankfulness.

For that alone I would thank you,

Dear God.
” [3]

Comments

Popular Posts