“Jeremiah, what do you see?”

“Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying:
'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you;
I ordained you a prophet to the nations.'

Then said I:
'Ah, Lord God!
Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth.'

But the Lord said to me:
'Do not say, 'I am a youth,'
For you shall go to all to whom I send you,
And whatever I command you, you shall speak.
Do not be afraid of their faces,
For I am with you to deliver you,' says the Lord.'

Then the Lord put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the Lord said to me:
'Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.
See, I have this day set you over the nations and over the kingdoms,
To root out and to pull down,
To destroy and to throw down,
To build and to plant.'

Moreover the word of the Lord came to me saying,
'Jeremiah, what do you see?'
And I said,
'I see a branch of an almond tree.'
Then the Lord said to me,
'You have seen well, for I am ready to perform my word.

And the word of the Lord came to me a second time, saying,
'What do you see?'
And I said,
'I see a boiling pot, and it is facing away from the north.'
Then the Lord said to me:
'Out of the north calamity shall break forth on all the inhabitants of the land.
For behold, I am calling all the families of the kingdoms of the north, says the Lord;
They shall come and each one set his throne at the entrance of the gates of Jerusalem
Against all its wall all around,
And against all the cities of Judah.
I will utter My judgments against them concerning all their wickedness
Because they have forsaken Me,
Burned incense to other gods,
And worshiped the words of their own hands.'

'Therefore prepare yourself and arise,
And speak to them all that I command you.
Do not be dismayed before their faces,
lest I dismay you before them.
For behold, I have made you this day
A fortified city and an iron pillar,
And bronze walls against the whole land.
Against the kings of Judah,
Against its princes,
Against its priests,
And against the people of the land.
They will fight against you,
But they shall not prevail against you.
For I am with you,' says the Lord, 'to deliver you.'”
(Jeremiah 1)

In Jeremiah 1, The Lord paints a beautiful picture of what it looks like to be a good father.

God calls forth His purposes from Jeremiah.

The Lord had purpose for Jeremiah before he was even born. The Lord had set him apart for those purposes and sanctified him in the womb of his mother. He was called and ordained to be a prophet.

For every child, we can bless and pray for their purpose to come forth and days to be ordered by the Lord before they are born. God establishes their purpose and their days are ordained by Him before one comes to be.[a]

In Psalm 139:13-16 David proclaims,
“For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.”

As parents, our job is notice and see the purposes of God coming forth in our children and speak them forth. We are to bless our children and call forth life from them rather than form them to our purposes. Proverbs 19:21 says, “Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand.”

The Jackson's write in their book on parenting, “Ephesians 2:10 says, 'For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.' The goal of hearts changed and invited into God's 'good works' is enhanced when parents focus on long-term, 'big picture' thinking instead of disciplining with a focus on simply punishing misbehavior to make it stop quickly. This kind of thoughtful discipline helps children understand God's purposes for them and builds the values and skills necessary to walk fully in these purposes. Parents can find and build these strengths in a child, even in misbehavior.”[1]

God empowered Jeremiah with the gifts that would help hem fulfill his calling.

Our children our wired for the purpose that God formed them. Like Jeremiah, God has blessed and empowered them with many gifts that will help them fulfill this purpose. Romans 11:29 says, “for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.”

We can see these gifts in our children, acknowledge them, and make room for them to use them. It may be as simple as noticing how they enjoy certain activities more than others. As they try things they begin to find their natural strengths and areas of enjoyment.

Most kids have no clue what they are good at or will enjoy. We can encourage them to try many things and enter into the discovery process with them. God did not tell Jeremiah he was too young to use his gifts, rather He validated and empowered the giftings within Jeremiah.

The areas of gifting and strength often point to a child's greater purpose. For my own son, when he was young he loved experimenting. He also loved building electronic devices and taking apart electronic items such as radios. He would explore science, electronics, and robotics. As he became older, he would even use his own money to buy books on electronics.

Eventually this all pointed him into the direction of becoming an electrical engineer who also oversees the work of electricians. He also loved classical music when he grew into his teens and adulthood. As he has grown older, he has gained a great music appreciation. Then later he met the girl of his dreams who plays multiple instruments and makes classical style music.

I also think of an example with one of my employees. Some years ago I hired an employee for a specific high level financial role. He was new to this position but felt ready and determined to step into it. He had all the background he needed for this role with education, training and experience.

However, as he stepped into the role, it was not a good fit for him.   Not that he was not bright enough to figure it out, but he seemed to just not be a good match and have a hard time to focus on the pieces that needed the most attention.

As I came to know him better and see him work, I could see that he was exceptionally good at connecting with people, communicating, big picture thinking, administrating and organizing. What I began to also see was that he disliked the level of detail, hours of number analysis, and lack of people connection that this role required.

If he would not have stepped out, he would have never realized that this was not a good role for him. As I was praying and seeking God for what to do, I had a dream. In my dream he was working for one of our departments in a specific role that he was doing amazingly well at. In my dream, I was stunned at the difference.

As part of his development, I affirmed the areas of gifting within him and explored and acknowledged the areas that did not seem to be a strength or area of enjoyment. And after praying about it, I moved him into a position that provided much more connection with people and opportunity to utilize his giftings. I also began to see that his giftings pointed clearly to a strong fit with this position I saw him performing in my dream. As we talked about career path, I mentioned to him that he may want to explore this position for the long term.

Ironically, a few weeks later that specific position opened up in the specific department that I saw him performing in my dream. A few days later this employee showed up in my office to tell me that they had explored an opportunity that came up and was really interested in moving towards it. He wanted my blessing on it. It was the position that I had a dream about for the specific department. I didn't tell this employee about the dream until a few days ago but he is doing this higher level position in this department and is amazingly good at it. He loves it! I had the opportunity to train him for some of this position and now work side by side with him in his new role.

All of that to say that God knows how he formed each one of us and how we best function. He knows where we will thrive in our strengths and where we will strive in our weaknesses. If God will speak to me for directing an employee, how much more will he speak to me on my very own child.

We can pray and seek God asking for direction in guiding our children base on how they are wired. We can ask God to help us see and affirm how He has made them.

God affirmed and called forth Jeremiah in his purpose by leading him by the heart.

As we point and direct our children to having a relationship with Jesus, and as they learn to delight in Him for themselves, we can trust that God will direct their path according to His plan.

Psalm 37:4,23 says, “Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart... The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way...”

God directed Jeremiah's steps initially by engaging Jeremiah and leading him by the heart. The way the Lord approached Jeremiah was to first ask questions, bringing what was on his heart to the surface and then validate and enter into his world from there. The Lord asked, “Jeremiah, what do you see?

Hearing the hearts of our children can help us to engage them, connect with them and lead them. We can ask our children, what did you see today? What touched your heart? What hurt your heart?

Over and over, it is proven that learning and growth happen not just by situation and experience but by our processing of those experiences. We want to make sure that we are making the room and time for our children to process their experiences so that they learn and grow from them.

At a discussion I was at a little over a week ago (a prayer intensive for “Restoring the Heart of the Family"), one of the speakers shared a process he goes through at dinner time everyday with his family. He considers their dinner table an altar where they worship God together as a family.  They have a heart that they pass around to each other as they eat dinner. The one who is passed the heart shares with the others something that moved or touched their heart (good or bad) that day.

Not only did God ask Jeremiah some questions to bring clarity and listen to him, but then He connected with Jeremiah by engaging his heart. The Lord affirmed what Jeremiah saw and then shared in it. By doing this, God validated Jeremiah, how he was wired and what he was experiencing from the heart.

I once had a dream where there was a poor person who was very sad and she was sitting under a directional sign looking to me. All she needed to do was look up. How this picture helped me was to make sure I was pointing people to God, validating and encouraging their hearts in a way that is healthy for them, and not further dis-empowering them by telling them what to do like everyone else did.

Often where there is relationship of unequal power, the weaker one looks will look to the one with more power to tell them what to do. Talking frequently with people who struggle with mental illness, I find that some really struggle with thinking they can make decisions for themselves. They think they need other people to tell them what to do.

How they begin to get freedom to make good decisions is not by being told again by someone else what to think and do but by letting them speak out what is on their heart and validating and encouraging those things that are beneficial for them (as well as explore the consequences of those things that are not good for them). As they learn to make decisions for themselves from their heart, they begin to feel empowered to own their future rather than a helpless victim of it.

In the same way, our children learn good decision making as we grow their capacity by validation of the things in their heart that good and right and exploring the consequences of those things that are not good choices. By listening, encouraging, validating and exploring with them, we can help them to learn and grow in godly character from the heart and begin to make choices that are right for them.

Often in teen years it seems that children often stumble when they are following the crowd. They allow others to make their choices for them and go along with the crowd rather than doing what their heart says is right. By strengthening, validating and encouraging right choices, they are more able to stand against the tremendous peer pressure they will feel at this age.

While being a parent and having power over a child, it is easy to get them to obey and follow by threats of punishment (compliance). But if they do not agree in their heart and own godly behaviors for themselves, they are merely going through the motions and not coming to life. Often children in this situation later rebel and determine to do their own thing.

God entered into Jeremiah's world of what was on his heart and then encouraged Jeremiah to arise and put his hand to what his heart prompted. [b]

God not only took the time to ask Jeremiah questions, drawing out what was on his heart and validating it, He then shares in it with Jeremiah. He gives Jeremiah more perspective around what he is seeing. He helps him to get more clarity on it. God entered into Jeremiah's world by participating with him in the things that mattered to Jeremiah.

We can enter more into our children's lives by getting down and seeing the world from their level. We are then in a position to enter with them into what is on their heart and help them to get greater clarity and perspective on it.

By being face to face with our children and genuinely listening to them, we are communicating that they have value and what they say and think has value.  To show we are genuinely listening, we can ask them questions for clarification and reflect back what they are saying to us.   What we are listening for is the heart of what they say more than the words.  

As we hear their heart, we can validate and empathize with their emotions.   Here is an example, "I can see you are feeling really excited about ... , I am excited for you too."  Or I can see that made you very sad, sometimes I am sad too."  By reflecting back and hearing their heart, we are entering into their world and helping them get greater clarity and perspective. 

We don't need to agree with everything someone says in order to validate them. When I speak with people who struggle with mental illness, I sometimes get a mixture of inappropriateness or anger mixed in with things that are really noble. In these situations, I listen to them, empathize with their feelings, and validate those things that are noble and good.

I strongly validate the good in them rather than focus on what is negative about their behavior or conversation. It is amazing how often a conversation will then move in the direction where the person feels validated. They most often begin to get more perspective and strength in this area.

Once Jeremiah has a full and clear perspective, God then calls Jeremiah to action. He asks Jeremiah to put his hands to what his heart prompted. God connected with what was on Jeremiah's heart and encouraged movement towards this. The Lord told him to prepare himself, arise, and speak.

Rather than always expecting our kids to see things from our perspective and enter into what we value, telling our children what we want them to do and expecting them to comply, we can enter into their worlds by getting down and seeing things at their level, helping them gain perspective then exploring with them how to move towards their godly heart perspectives.

I met a very young lady some years ago at a place that cared for the needs of the homeless (The Marie Sandvik Center). We were all working together on putting together care packages for the homeless. What I especially loved was hearing this young lady's story.

She had wanted to do something to help the poor. Her family then sat down and explored what they could do. They decided based upon her initiative and lead to give several items they owned and then collect several items for care packages for the poor. They then brought these articles to The Marie Sandvik Center as they were helping with putting together care packages. As the whole family worked together on putting together packages for the poor, this young child was just glowing with purpose, excitement and joy.

As another example, just this last weekend I spoke with another very young lady who participated in a triathlon event to support children with cancer. She had raised over $1000 to this cause. She was bursting with excitement about it. I could tell she was taking full ownership of the activities she involved herself in as  her mother stopped me to introduce me because this young lady wanted to know who I was just because I had given a little to support her in her cause.

God loved Jeremiah unconditionally.

Most importantly, God clearly communicates his love and support for Jeremiah. He was going to be with him to help him and support him as he followed his heart into what God had for him. Jeremiah was terribly insecure about his age. Without God's unconditional love, he would have never had the courage to face the challenge. God made it clear over and over that he was with him to deliver him and would help see him through. This love gave Jeremiah the courage to stand in the face of tremendous opposition.

In the same way, what our kids need most from us is unconditional love. They need to know whether they arise or stay sitting, whether they succeed or fail, and whether their hearts are for good or for bad, that they are deeply loved and cherished.

It is in loving our children that they can learn, grow, become and enter into the purposes God has for them. Without this love, children our typically stuck and held back in fear. They do not have the capacity to explore their hearts because they are too worried about being received and accepted. Love and acceptance is the deepest and first need that every child has to have met.

The Jackson's write about when they are intentional in conversations with their child, and spend time preparing their heart's beforehand, that the following is what their child hears:
  • “I am for you”
  • “I love you no mater what”
  • “You are capable of getting through this and resolving it”
  • “You are responsible and, even if your consequence is hard for you, I am here.”[2]
These are the same messages that God was clearly communicating to Jeremiah.   Ultimately it is unconditional love that God is continually communicating to us and that we want to communicate to our children. 

Lord, the message that you demonstrate to all your children is first and foremost that you love us deeply and are with us.  Help us to communicate this same message clearly to our children.   Fill us with your love and purposes for them.   Help us to be more like you in our parenting.


a.
A child may be able to connect to an extent with the outside world through their mother while still in the womb. John the Baptist responds to the world around him while he is in his mother's Elizabeth's womb by leaping when Mary came to visit pregnant with the Messiah.  We can bless, sing over, pray over, proclaim purpose and proclaim ours and God's love over them before they are born.  

b.
While it is not mentioned in the text, I believe that by being with God regularly and hearing His heart of what He loved and valued, Jeremiah began to share and incorporate these same values in his own life.


1-2.  Jim and Lynne Jackson.   Discipline that connects with Your Child's Heart.   Connected Families, Chaska, MN.   2012.

Comments

Popular Posts