"It is I who deal death and life; when I have struck it is I who heal (and none can deliver from my hand)"

“Son of man, prophesy and clap your hands.
Let the sword be twice, three times, as cruel, the butchers sword,
the great sword of slaughter, menacing all around.
To make hearts sink and to increase the number of victims
I have posted a sword at every gate to flash like lightning, polished for havoc.
Behind! To the right! To the left! In front!
And I too will clap my hands;
I will exhaust my wrath.
I, Yahweh, have spoken.”
Ezekiel 21:14-17

The 'sword' used here is the Hebrew word chereb, Strongs #2719. It was a type of dagger. It comes from the root word charab, Strongs #2717 that means to be made desolate, dried up and/or laid to waste.

This sword speaks of the judgment of God. Moses and Aaron told the Pharaoh in Exodus 5:3, “The God of the Hebrews hath met with us: let us go, we pray thee, three days’ journey into the desert, and sacrifice unto the LORD our God; lest he fall upon us with pestilence, or with the sword [chereb].”

The first time it was used was in Genesis, when Adam and his family were cut off from the garden of Eden. Genesis 3:24 says, “He banished the man [Adam and Eve], and in front of the garden of Eden he posted the cherubs, and the flame of a flashing sword [chereb], to guard the way to the tree of life.”

The sword was used against God's enemies to avenge and to purify the land. Moses prophesies in a song in Deuteronomy 32:40-43,
“Yes, I lift up my hand to heaven,
and I say: As surely as I live for ever,
when I have whetted my flashing sword [chereb]
I will take up the cause of Right,
I will give my foes as good again,
I will repay those who hate me.
I will make my arrows drunk with blood,
and my sword shall feed on flesh:
the blood of wounded and captives,
the skulls of the enemy leaders.'

Heavens, rejoice with him,
let the sons of God pay him homage!
Nations, rejoice with his people,
let God's envoys tell of his power!
For he will avenge the blood of his servants,
he will give his foes as good again,
he will repay those who hate him
and purify the land of his people.”

This sword used in vengeance or judgment would have been different from the michaira (in Greek) sword. The michaira sword is a short dagger or knife that is used more in circumcising one's heart, dividing the soul and spirit (Heb. 4:12). The chereb (in Hebrew) sword is probably more like the rhomphaia (in Greek) sword that was larger and used as in instrument of anguish (Luke 2:35) and judgment (Rev. 1:16, 2:12, 16; 19:15, 21). [1]

The [chereb] sword is also used by God's people against the enemies of God. Leviticus 26:7-8 says, “You shall pursue your enemies and they shall fall before your sword; five of you pursuing a hundred of them, one hundred pursuing ten thousand; and your enemies shall fall before your sword [chereb].”

The sword is given to God's people to perform his divine judgments. Psalm 149:6-9, “Let the high praises of El be in their throats and two-edged swords [chereb] in their hands, to take vengeance on all the nations, to punish the people of the world, to put their kings in chains and their leaders in iron shackles, to carry out the judgment that is written against them. This is an honor that belongs to all his godly ones. Hallelujah!

However, this sword can also be used for harm of others. Proverbs 30:14 says, "There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords [chereb], and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men."

In Zechariah 13:7 it was being used against God's shepherd. Zechariah proclaims, “Sword, awake against My shepherd, against the man who is My associate- this is the declaration of the Lord of Hosts. Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered; I will also turn My hand against the little ones.”

This prophesy was speaking of the Lord being struck with a sword. He tells His disciples in Matthew 26:31,  "This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: "'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'”

In the case of Ezekiel's prophesy, the sword was being drawn by God against the people of Israel. In Ezekiel 21:12 the Lord proclaims, “Cry and wail, son of man; For it will be against My people, against all the princes of Israel. Terrors including the sword will be against My people; Therefor strike your thigh.”

This sword caused hearts to melt and sink (Ez. 21:15). It was not something one would want in their life or anyone else's for that matter. It created tremendous pain. Job 19:29 says, “Be ye afraid of the sword: for wrath bringeth the punishments of the sword, that ye may know there is a judgment.”

It was coming against His people because of their idolatry. His purpose was not to destroy them but to purge them from their sin and purify them. Ezekiel 22:15 says, “I will scatter you among the nations, disperse you throughout the countries, and remove your filthiness completely from you.”

Their anguish in their loss eventually resulted in purification. They were exiled from the land that their ancestors fought so hard for them to have. But ultimately, it would bring repentance and God would draw them back to Himself and the land He gave them.

When the Lord strikes his people, he also heals them. In Deuteronomy 32:39 Moses speaks from the Lord, “See now that I, I am He, and beside me there is no other god. It is I who deal death and life; when I have struck it is I who heal (and none can deliver from my hand).”

Even in anguish, the Lord's purpose is to always work good in bringing forth His kingdom purposes. And in our pain, God will bring us comfort and consolation as we look to Him.

I can't imagine the anguish that Mary felt has she watched the son she raised be crucified on the cross like a felon with such tremendous pain right in front of her very eyes. The sword pierced her heart (Luke 2:35). But as a result of this loss of His life, the kingdom came in powerful ways it could not have come otherwise.

The result was “that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed” (Luke 2:35b) as people either accepted Jesus and received Him or rejected Him. Mary, in front her eyes, was able to see the resurrection of Jesus, salvation to be freely given, and the Spirit to be poured out upon His people.

In the case of Mary, Jesus used John to give consolation and comfort to Mary in her loss. He tells John, “Behold your mother.” It was in this loss, that John and Mary developed a special relationship they would not have had otherwise.

In the same way, God brings us consolation and comfort in our pain when we look to Him. And like John, He uses us to bring consolation and comfort to others in anguish – even in the midst of our own losses.

This being pierced by a sword reminds me of a dream I had a few years ago. I had a dream that pain and loss were being distributed to people... kind of the way that I would allocate overheads at work. Each person was getting a portion – some more and others less. In my dream, it was loss upon loss as the person who experienced a loss was not comforted by the people they looked to.

Then shortly after, I experienced a very sad loss in my own life. A friend of mine who had been struggling with mental illness, committed suicide. I was heartbroken. What was also hard for me was how I found out- it lacked any comfort for the loss.

That week at one of the churches I attend, we were to bring a question we had to God about Him where we were struggling. For me, my question was on suicide... Was there room in God's heart for those who had committed suicide? I have always thought of this way of death as the most tragic as it is the ultimate loss of life with no chance to turn back to God.

That weekend as I sat down at this church service heavy with grief as I had posted my question on the wall along with every one else. As I sat down a song began: “We're gonna be okay...” The words hit me hard as I was overwhelmed with the love and comfort of God. I sobbed as the words washed over me.

While I never wished to loose my friend, I was comforted in ways I can never put words to by God. Suddenly fears that I had held for years washed away as I stood in the immense love of God that was even big enough to wrap itself around my friend's suicide.  At that moment, in my heart I truly knew there was "no outside of inside His love" as one of my pastors would say.

There will be a day when love will show it's face and wipe the tears away, and all will stand amazed. We'll sing Hallelujah.”

Lord, I don't understand this kind of painful loss in our lives but it happens. I am so grateful that in the midst of it, you are with us. You provide us with comfort in our grief, anguish, and loss. You do not leave us unconsoled. As with Mary, let our losses bring forth greater kingdom purposes. I lift up those who are suffering and ask that you would make your presence and love known to them in deep and unexplainable ways. Fill us with Your overflowing love to bring Your comfort to all those who need it.

Comments

Popular Posts