"If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking."


Ecclesiasticus (Si) 51:13-30 -
When I was still a youth, before I went travelling,
in my prayers I asked outright for wisdom.
Outside the sanctuary I would pray for her,
and to the last I will continue to seek her.
From her blossoming to the ripening of her grape
my heart has taken its delight in her.
My foot has pursued a straight path,
I have been following her steps ever since my youth.
By bowing my ear a little I have received her,
and have found much instruction.
Thanks to her I have advanced;
the glory be to him who has given me wisdom!
For I am determined to put her into practice,
I have earnestly pursued what is good,
I will not be put to shame.
My soul has fought to possess her,
I have been scrupulous in keeping the Law;
I have stretched out my hands to heaven
and bewailed my ignorance of her;
I have directed my soul towards her,
and in purity have found her;
having my heart fixed on her from the outset,
I shall never be deserted;
my very core having yearned to discover her,
I have now acquired a good possession.
In reward the Lord has given me a tongue
with which I shall sing his praises.

Come close to me, you uninstructed,
take your place in my school.
Why complain about lacking these things
when your souls are so thirsty for them?
I have opened my mouth and spoken:
'Buy her without money,
put your necks under her yoke,
and let your souls receive instruction;
she is not far to seek.
See for yourselves: how slight my efforts have been
to win so much peace.
Buy instruction with a large sum of silver,
thanks to her you will gain much gold.
May your souls rejoice in the mercy of the Lord,
may you never be ashamed of praising him.
Do your work before the appointed time
and he in his time will give you your reward.”

This is actually an alphabetical or acrostic poem. What I love most about it is the strong desire and yearning the writer expresses for wisdom, the determination to put into practice what is learned and the assurance that we will gain much when we seek even little.

It is in realizing our need and longing to receive wisdom that we are filled with it. So many times I have turned to God with such a lack in the area of wisdom and He has abundantly provided – with no shame, only generosity and help to follow through. James 1:5 says, “But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

What I love about Him is that He gives us the wisdom we need for the moment. He doesn't fill us with all wisdom so we grow prideful or self sufficient, rather He gives a Scripture or a word for the specific situation to help us navigate through it.

Wisdom actually also improve one's health. The author of Ecclesiasticus notes, “The fear of the Lord is the crown of wisdom; it makes peace and health to flourish” (Si 1:18) I went to a seminar last week and one of the speakers talked about cultivating a life of gratitude. In her talk, she noted that near 90% of illnesses are stress related in some way. Where walking in wisdom and filled with gratitude gives us peace and rest.

Sometimes the reason we lack wisdom is because we do not see our need for it. We begin to see ourselves as being wise. We are all needy and can gain from diligently seeking after God's wisdom. Paul warns about being wise in one's own eyes. He says in 1 Corinthians 8:2, “If anyone thinks he knows anything, he does not yet know it as he ought to know it.”

And Paul says in 1 Corinthians 3:18, “No one should deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks he is wise in this age, he must become foolish so that the can become wise.”

In Jesus is all wisdom. To long for Jesus is to also long for His wisdom. And to follow Jesus is to follow a path of wisdom. As we seek Him (and His wisdom) diligently and passionately, we will find Him (see Jer. 29:13).

Lord I seek You, You are all I desire... I need You, more than life.” sings

And the outflow of that wisdom are acts of genuine love. One cannot be unloving and a the same time be acting in wisdom. James speaks of this heavenly wisdom that is overflowing in love and results in unity and he contrasts it to the worlds way that results in division -

James 3:13-18 says,
If there are any wise or learned men among you, let them show it by their good lives, with humility and wisdom in their actions. But if at heart you have the bitterness of jealousy, or a self-seeking ambition, never make any claims for yourself or cover up the truth with lies -principles of this kind are not the wisdom that comes down from above: they are only earth, animal and devilish.

Wherever you find jealousy and ambition, you find disharmony, and wicked things of every kind being done; whereas the wisdom that comes down from above is essentially something pure; it also makes for peace, and is kindly and considerate; it is full of compassion and shows itself by doing good; nor is there any trace of partiality or hypocrisy in it. Peacemakers, when they work for peace, sow the seeds which will bear fruit in holiness.

Deuteronomy 10:17-18 speaks of this wisdom that is in God: “who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing.” 
 
I love that God's wisdom is filled with justice. It is not about moving towards being superior in knowing or better than others, being like the Pharisee who turned to the tax collector and said in his heart, “Thank You I am not like this sinner.” Rather it is about moving towards life and people in humility, generosity and love. It is filled with kindness and gentleness. It is filled with God rather than self-righteous religion.

Si 3:17, “My son, be gentle in carrying out your business, and you will be better loved than a lavish giver.”

Si 5:5-11, “Do not avert your eyes from the destitute, 
give no man occasion to curse you...
Gain the love of the community, 
bow your head to a man of authority.
To the poor lend an ear, 
and return his greeting courteously.
Save the oppressed from the hand of the oppressor,
 and do not be mean-spirited in your judgments.
Be like a father to orphans, 
and as good as a husband to widows.
And you will be like a son to the Most High...”

Si 7:32-36, “Stretch out your hand also to the poor man, 
that your blessing may be perfect.
Be generous in in your gifts to all the living, 
do not withhold your favour even from the dead.
Do not fail those who weep, 
but share the grief of the grief-stricken.
Do not shrink from visiting the sick; 
in this way you will make yourself loved.
In everything you do, remember your end, 
and you will never sin."

And one that has spoken to me recently, Si 18:15-18,
My son, do not temper your favours with disparagement,
nor any of your gifts with words that hurt.
Does not dew relieve the heat?
In the same way a word is worth more than a gift.
Why surely, a word is better than a good present,
but a generous man is ready with both.
A fool will offer nothing but insult,
and a grudging man's gift makes the eyes smart."

Lord, mostly I lack in the area of loving people well. I long for more wisdom in this area. Would you help us to see our neediness and increase our desire and longing for Your wisdom. Fill us with your wisdom to really love You and others well.

Comments

Popular Posts