All things are possible for one who believes.

I once was watching this young lady at a ministry event.  She was washing a stone in a fountain of water.  She sat there for awhile watching and letting the water pour over the stone.  As she did, I was praying for her.  I thought in my heart, 'If only she could believe she was as this stone who has been washed by the Water.  She is pure, she is holy.'   I felt like she couldn't see it... all she could see was a stone that needed to be washed.  She needed to move from unbelief to belief.  

Our belief is important to God because it impacts our actions.   In Exodus 10:2b, God said to Moses, “I have done all this so that you [Moses and the people of Israel] may believe I am the Eternal.” (Ex 10:2b)

Moses asked God a logical question when God called him to go back to Egypt and tell the people God would rescue them. He asked God, “What if they don't trust me? What if they don't listen to a single word I say? They are more likely to reply, “The Eternal has not revealed Himself to you.” Exodus 4:1

Belief has huge power over our actions. If we do not believe and cannot see something, our response will be one of disregard. We will not listen or follow someone if we do not trust them. God created us this way – our beliefs impact our actions.

When God was instructing Moses out of the burning bush, He addressed belief. He addressed Moses' ability to believe that He would be with Moses and that He was sending Him. God also addressed with Moses the Isrealites and Pharaoh's ability to believe.

God gave Moses sign's to do and told him, “This sign is so the people will believe that I, the God of their fathers – Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob – have revealed Himself to you...”

When Moses was talking to the Isrealites, God knew initially that they would need signs to help their belief. And when the Isrealites had difficulty and were exhausted from their harsh labor, they couldn't believe and so they turned a deaf ear.

While a lack of belief shuts us down and closes us out to the possibilities, belief opens us up and energizes us. Belief gives us hope and moves us forward. When God came to free His people, He performed many signs and wonders so they would believe and be motivated to move out from their oppression.

God told Moses after performing some miracles, “Go Pay Pharaoh another visit. I have made his heart and his servants' hearts as hard as stone, so that I can perform My wondrous signs among them and reveal My power. I have done all these things so that you can tell your children and grandchildren stories of how I treated the cruel Egyptians with contempt and performed My signs among them. I have done all this so that you may believe I am the Eternal.” (Ex. 10:1-2)

It was important they believe so that Moses could lead them out. However, even after seeing many signs and wonders and being led through the Red Sea, the Isrealites still wavered in their belief. They told Moses as they go to the desert of Sin, “It would have been better if we had died by the hand of the Eternal in Egypt. At least we had plenty to eat and drink...But now you have brought the entire community out to the desert to starve to death.” (Ex. 16:3)

More than once, they wanted to turn back from the promises of God to their old oppression and slavery. It is what they knew and were comfortable with. They couldn't believe they could have something so much better. Even when they were going to enter the Promised Land, they shrunk back in fear and unbelief. They could not see what God had for them, only the obstacles lying in front of them.

Ever been there? All kinds of obstacles lying in front of you and you can make a long list of them but in inventorying them, you lose sight of the possibilities and promises. This happened to the Isrealites in the wilderness and they turned back away from entering the Promised Land.
It took belief like Caleb and Joshua had that God would be with them and help them to overcome every obstacle to enter into the Promise Land.

All is possible for those who believe. It needs to start with us letting hope sink in and believing. He is more than able to fulfill His promises.

Lord, forgive me where I have doubted and wavered in unbelief when I see all the difficulties and obstacles in front of me. Help us to remember Your goodness, faithfulness and mercy. Let us be as Moses, Joshua and Caleb who see what is true from Your perspective and follow this. Strengthen our belief in You.

Comments

Popular Posts