Be careful how you live; be mindful of your steps



“I am just a foreigner. Why have you noticed me and treated me as if I'm on of your favorites?” Ruth 2:10

Boaz was generous and kind to Ruth. She was a very poor foreign woman who came to his fields to glean and owned nothing. Boaz saw her and treated her like a queen. He even knew her story.

He told her in Ruth 2:11, “I have heard your story. I know about everything you have done for your mother-in-law since your own husband died. I know you left your own mother and father, your home and your country, and you have to to live in a culture that must seem strange to you.”

He told his staff to let her pick grain from among their sheaves and to look out for her. Then after his great generosity, Naomi coached Ruth on their practices related to a kinsman-redeemer.

Neither Ruth nor Boaz went after empty desires. They saw what God was placing in front of them and entered into it with all their hearts.

“Every one of you have witnessed what happened here today. I secured the rights to everything that belonged to Elimelech and his sons, Mahlon and Chilion, from Naomi. I have also taken responsibility for Ruth -the woman from Moab who was married to Mahlon. She will become my wife. I will see to it that his family and this city remember Mahlon. I will raise children who will bear his name and make sure his property stays in the family. You are all witnesses to this today.” (Ruth 4:9-10)

Ephesians 5:15-17 says, “So be careful how you live; be mindful of your steps. Don't run around like idiots as the rest of the world does. Instead, walk as the wise! Make the most of every living and breathing moment because these are evil times. So understand and be confident in God's will, and don't live thoughtlessly.” 
 
Boaz could have been caught up in his wealth and importance and not even noticed Naomi. On the other hand, Ruth could have been chasing after men as a young widow and not taken a second glance at Boaz.

Sometimes when we want something, we don't even realize that we go chasing after it and that it will leave us empty and unfulfilled. The temptation is placed in front of us and we run after it.

Just recently this happened to me. After thinking I wanted something that was presented to me and even moving towards it a little, suddenly later in the day bible verses came popping up that were contradictory. Oh, I don't know how my heart got there. I realized there was no justifying what sounded so good and I needed to turn away from it. I then even had a dream that I lopped onto it and was feeling empty and fulfilled.

Then when I awoke, I remembered what did leave me feeling overflowing with joy. I am not sure how to get there again from here but I long for that place. Getting there involves care in how I live and mindfulness in my steps. It involves taking the time to be with God so that I am filled with His wisdom in my choices.

Proverbs 15:15 notes that The entire life of the afflicted seems disastrous, but a good heart feasts continuously."   When we look to get our life from the world around us we are left empty.  It is as we look to God and are filled with his joy that our life is a continual feast on God's goodness.

Ruth Haley Barton writes of taking time in silence to be with God so we are filled with His will. She writes, “Rather than speech that issues from sub-conscious needs to impress, to put others in their place, to compete, to control and manipulate, to repay hurt with hurt, we now notice our own inner dynamics and choose to speak from a different place. A place of love, and trust, and true wisdom that God is cultivating within us.” [1]


Mother Teresa was someone who looked to God and feasted on His goodness as she lived in this place of love, trust and true wisdom.  The words she spoke poured with wisdom.  She found this place of overflowing joy as she poured herself out for others.

She wrote, "Be kind and merciful.  Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.  Be a living expression of God's kindness:  kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting.... Give them not only your care, but also your heart."[2]

Lord, help us to be careful how we live. Let us not be wise in our own eyes but look to you. Give us space to seek Your will. Let us make the most of every moment by living in our will and not mindlessly seeking our own. Forgive me where I have.

1. Haley Barton, Ruth. For the Sake of Others, ereflections. Solitude: In God for the World. 8/3/2015. Located at: http://www.transformingcenter.org/2015/08/solitude-sake-others/

2.  Mother Teresa.  The Joy in Loving.  Viking Penguine, New York, NY.   1997.

Comments

Popular Posts