The Eternal is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; He is my True God, my stronghold in whom I take refuge...



“Woman of Tekoa: 'Please, O king, ask the Eternal One, your True God, so that those seeking a blood debt will give up their vengeance and my son will live.' David: 'As sure as the Eternal One lives, not one hair of your son's head will be damaged.'” (2 Samuel 14:11)

There was no question with people about David's relationship to God. They knew him as a man who had a heart for God. He continually pointed to how great God is and honored Him. God was huge to Him.

Even as king, David did not proclaim his own greatness and victories but rather the greatness of the God who sustained him. From his standpoint, God raised him up from a lowly shepherd and set him over the people as king. It was all God's work and not his own greatness.

In joy over conquering all his enemies, David writes a psalm, “He reached down from above me, He held me; He pulled me from the raging waters. He rescued me from my strong enemy and from all those who hated me, for they would have overwhelmed me. When my enemies came for me on the day of destruction, the Eternal stepped in to support me.... He made me sure-footed as a deer and placed me high up and safe. He teaches me to fight so that my arms can bend a bronze bow... I pursued my enemies and defeated them and did not stop until all were destroyed.” (2 Samuel 22:17-19,34-35,38)

David frequently acted from his beliefs and out of His relationship with God. He writes in the psalm from 2 Samuel 22:22-24, “He rewarded me because I kept the ways of the Eternal and have not walked away from my True God in wickedness. For all His laws were there before me, and I did not push His statutes away. I made myself blameless before Him; I kept myself from guilt and shame.”

An example of David acting out of his belief in God was that he treated Saul with respect even though Saul hunted him. When given opportunities to harm Saul, David refused to take action and used them for opportunities to prove to Saul he meant no harm or ill will. This was despite all his men proclaiming that God had given Saul into his hands and encouraging him to take action.

As another example, when his child was ill and dying, David fasted, layed on the ground and prayed all night for seven days and nights. He looked so distraught that his servants were afraid for him in letting him know his son died. Then when he found out his child died, he got up, washed, anointed himself and ate.

When asked about his unusual behavior for grieving he told his servants, “While my son was still alive, I wept and fasted with all my being because I thought to myself, 'Who knows? There is still a chance that the Eternal One will have mercy on me and let my child live. But now that he is dead, why should I continue without eating? Will that bring my son back to life?”

While David had this very large God that everyone could clearly see in his actions, David was far from perfect. David held a grudge against his wife Michal for her unkindness, he seduced a married woman and then murdered her husband to cover it up.

He also failed his children - not disciplining Amnon for his horrendous act and not giving Tamar any justice for what was done to her. One of his other sons, Absalom, was bitter about it and took justice into his own hands, killing Amnon.

Some of his children seemed to have strong desires for things to fill them. Amnon became sick over his desire for Tamar until he reached out and took her. And Absalom was hungry for power. David seemed to cater to his children and give them everything they desired without too much question rather than provide them with the loving discipline that they needed to grow spiritually. He seemed to be unable to say no to their requests and loved to spoil them with what they wanted. As a result, he failed them and they didn't come to know God the same way David did.

Absalom, in his anger and hunger for power, would stand at the gate and tell people seeking justice, “I'm sure your claims are truthful and have merit, but the king has not appointed anyone to hear your case. If only I were appointed the authority in the land! Then anyone with a petition could come before me, and I would give him justice! By embracing people, making them feel important and directing them to himself (not God) as the source of justice, he became “”the favorite” in the land. (2 Samuel 15:3-6) Absalom gained popularity and took power briefly.

David, on the other hand, while he made many errors and poor choices, especially with his children, was not focused on himself as the source of justice. Rather, his eyes were on God who rules with justice. He proclaimed in 2 Samuel 22:28, “For You rescue weak people, but the proud you bring low.”

David had a deep friendship with God that was based upon intimacy. He was known and loved by God, even in his failings.  And He pursued God, knowing Him and honoring Him in his actions. Even though he failed significantly, he was quick to repent when he saw he was off course.  He didn't shrink back from God in his failures, but moved toward Him - knowing His great heart of love for David, delight in David and never-ending mercy.

In 2 Samuel 24:10 he tells God, “I have committed a great wrong against You. But please, O Eternal One, take away the guilt I feel, for I have done a stupid thing.”

David didn't blame God for the ways that his life went wrong.  He realized his failings.  He also realized that sometimes life is difficult.   Rather than grow bitter or turn from God in distrust, David continually sought after the heart of God in his difficulties and even despair.

David's last words were praising God for their intimate friendship and all He did through him. In 2 Samuel 23:2-4 David proclaims, “The Spirit of the Eternal speaks through me; His voice emerges from my mouth. The God of Israel has talked to me; and the Rock of Israel said, 'One who rules people with justice and who leads them in the fear of God is like the morning light, the sun rising on a cloudless morning, and the shining grasslands brought up from rain.”

Lord, we long to be more like David and see your hand in everything. Grow us in intimate friendship with you. Forgive me for sometimes shrinking back when I fail or begrudging when things go wrong.  Help us, like David, to continually pursue you in everything.  

Also, forgive me wherever I have catered to my kids or gave into their desires rather than redirecting their desires to You. I long for them to see You more like David did and seek You with their whole hearts.


Mercy and grace
forgiveness in You
A kindness so great
It always sees me through
I don't know how 
I came into a love so grand
All I know 
is how You always hold my hand 

You are there for me
When I fail and fall short
You are there for me
when I hide in the dark
You are there for me
When others would turn away
You are there for me
Through every single day.

Reminding me of Your love
Holding me tight
You are there for me
through the darkest of nights.

Comments

Popular Posts