“Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to ALL people”




 
“Jehoram's Message: 'Moab's king is no longer on Israel's side. He has turned against me. Will you accompany us in battle against him?'

Jehoshaphat's Reply: 'Yes, I will fight beside you. What is mine is yours -my people, my horses, everything.'” (2 Kings 3:7)

Jehoram, Ahab's son, was a king who was bent on evil. Yet as Ahab had a trusted friend in Jehospaphat, his son Jehoram reached out to him when he needed help. Jehoshaphat was quick to help. It was because of Jehoshaphat's influence that Elisha was summoned while they were moving toward battle in a difficult trip. And it was because of his influence that Elisha was willing to prophesy over the battle (2 Kings 3:12-14).

Elijah told them that they wouldn't see it coming, but suddenly they would look down and see the valley filled with water in the midst of their water shortage. Not only this, but they they would have complete victory in the battle. Exactly how Elisha had told them, it happened. They both saw before their very eyes the miraculous works of God and had their faith encouraged as they took the battle.

In the daily UCCB reading for November 4th, the Responsorial Psalm to loving your neighbor as yourself is Psalm 112, and includes, “R. ( 5a) Blessed the man who is gracious and lends to those in need.”

Part of loving your neighbor as yourself involves being open hearted and open handed to those around you in need. It doesn't say only if they deserve it or made the right choices. Instead, it just says to be gracious and meet their need if you have an ability.

The UCCB Responsorial Psalm goes on to note that God notices the one who gives freely,

“He dawns through the darkness, a light for the upright;
he is gracious and merciful and just.
Well for the man who is gracious and lends,
who conducts his affairs with justice.
R. Blessed the man who is gracious and lends to those in need.

Lavishly he gives to the poor;
his generosity shall endure forever;
his horn shall be exalted in glory.
R. Blessed the man who is gracious and lends to those in need.”

Sometimes we have good intentions in our heart but we don't act on them. We have compassion but then talk ourselves out of it. We start evaluating the person behind the need. Ever do this?

Recently a friend of one of my sons grandmother had bed bugs. I could see she had a need for new items but was reluctant because I was concerned how it would impact our relationship going forward. She depended a great deal on charity and I didn't want to be seen as 'a source' to her but rather a friend. 

Proverbs 3:27-28 speaks that it is wisdom to give to those around you when you can: “Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in your power to do it. Do not say to your neighbor, 'Go, and come back, And tomorrow I will give it,' When you have it with you.…”

And James 2:15-15 asks believers, “if a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,' and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that?”

Jesus speaks of just being open and available to meet needs of people around you. In Matthew 25:35-36 He tells a parable and says the ones whom the king will bless and call to his side are those who noticed the needs of those around them and met them.

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'”

Elisha looked for how he could meet the needs of those around him. When the Shunammite Woman grabbed his attention for letting him and his servant stay with them, He asked his servant, “Is there anything at all I can do for her?” (2 Kings 4:14)

When he returned to Gilgal and found that there was famine, he had his servant make a big pot of stew for the prophet's disciples because he new they were hungry. He healed the stew from a poisonous gourd and told his servant, “Distribute this food to the people so that they may fill their hungry bellies.” (2 Kings 4:41) . Then later when he received bread, he did not hold onto it himself but gave it all for those who were hungry around him and it multiplied (2 Kings 4:42-44).

Sometimes we are too busy to see the needs around us.   Other times we expect someone else will help and don't want the inconvenience.   Surveys note that people are much less likely to pull off the road to help a stranger if there are other cars that could help.  Other times we are judgmental or talk ourselves out of stepping up.  Still other times we are afraid the need is too big and will overwhelm us. 
 
When we connect with someone. What would it look like to ask yourself in your heart, “Is there anything I can do for him or her?” And when the needs appear too big to meet, instead of shrinking back, what would it look like to expect God to meet the needs miraculously as we step forward?

Lord, forgive me for the times I have had good intentions in my heart but not acted on them. Forgive me for the ways that I shrink back from meeting needs that are around me. And forgive me for the times I have been judgmental or put conditions around my willingness to reach out instead of quick to help. Help us to be quick to give to others and serve them in their time of need.
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts