"Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.…”


 
 
“My heart is in anguish within me, and the terrors of death have fallen upon me. Fear and trembling come upon me, and horror has overwhelmed me. I said, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.…” (Psalm 55:4-6)

This was a prayer of David. It is about a time of deep trouble His close friend whom he once enjoyed such rich fellowship together with, had turned on him. His good friend joined with his enemies and now there was now a wild storm of hatred and persecution towards David. David refers to them as murderers and liars - potentially plotting to kill him.

David looks to God and trust in Him. He proclaim in Psalm 55:22, “Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you.” In 1 Peter 5:7, Peter uses this verse and says something similar, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

David was first and foremost a prophetic intercessor. He had spent his time as a shepherd boy seeking after God, praying and singing to God from his heart. In this wilderness time, he learned to sit with and walk with God in the quiet places.

Sometimes as an intercessor, one may go through things that draw out prayers. For example, there have been times that in praying for church service, intercessors will come to church that weekend and just be blown away by the message because the sermon describes their week so perfectly with both the struggles and the victories.

Other times, an intercessor may just have a deep burden on their heart for something. Like a whirlwind, it can come over them, feeling almost overwhelming and then leave just as quickly.

Which ever this was for David, it feels like prophetic intercession. Jesus was betrayed by one of his close friends, whom they had enjoyed rich fellowship – Judas. Judas joined causes with those who were the enemies of Jesus and there was suddenly a wild storm of hatred and persecution towards Jesus. His enemies plotted and lied to have Jesus murdered. Jesus in the midst of incredible anguish, stood strong and trusted in God.

In the midst of tremendous turmoil, David cries out to have wings like a dove and fly away and be at rest. A dove, in the Bible, is sometimes used to symbolize the Holy Spirit. In Matthew 3:16/Luke 3:22, the Holy Spirit descended and rested upon Jesus in the form of a dove when He was baptized.

Matthew 3:16 says, “As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him”

Perhaps David was not only prophetically interceding for the time of Jesus' betrayal, but in his deep longing for wings as a dove so we could be at rest in times of turmoil, was praying for the Holy Spirit to be given as a gift.

Jesus tells His disciples, “I have told you this while I’m still with you. However, the helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything. He will remind you of everything that I have ever told you. I’m leaving you peace. I’m giving you my peace. I don’t give you the kind of peace that the world gives. So don’t be troubled or cowardly.”

In the gift of the Holy Spirit when we receive salvation, we have been given “wings of a dove.” We have been provided all that we need for peace in the midst of turmoil. We can “fly away and be at rest” in the midst of the most difficult circumstances. As we look to Jesus and trust in Him, we will have peace beyond understanding as we remain in His will. This doesn't mean that we will not feel grief in loss, change of heart in our mistakes, or other emotions. But in the midst of tribulation, we can feel safe and secure in Jesus.

As an example, my mother found out last week that she had cancer. I was so taken back at her trust and peace in the midst of this. She grabbed me by the hand to comfort me as we heard the news. She then looked at me with complete peace, smiled and told me that she was fine whenever Jesus wanted to take her home.

We can cast all our cares upon Jesus because He cares for us. As my littlest told me what he learned this past week, “God is all powerful, he can do anything.” When the world around us shakes, God is still all powerful (more than anything around us) and He deeply loves us. We can rest in this.

Lord, thank you for giving us wings like a dove. We can fly away and be at rest in the midst of any situation or circumstance. Help us to believe you for this rest when are circumstances are chaotic and full of turmoil.


Comments

Popular Posts