Death and Life Are in the Power of the Tongue




“And some of the scribes said to themselves, ‘This man is blaspheming!’  And Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, said, ‘Why are you thinking evil in your hearts?  For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’?  But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins’—then He said to the paralyzed man, ‘Get up, pick up your stretcher and go home.’ And he got up and went home. But when the crowds saw this, they were awestruck, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to men.” (Matthew 9:3-8)

 What we think matters.   Evil starts in our heart.   It is an agreement with the enemy about something that it not fully true, will lead us off course or cause us harm.   Sin, in this case is the Greek word hametria, Strongs #266,  and it is derived from the word for not having a share of, not having a part of, or forfeiture because not hitting the target.   It is self-empowered rather than God empowered.[1]

 Or, you could say it is self-determined rather than God breathed and a work of faith.  The unction for sin comes from temptation or one’s own lust.   According to James 1:14-15, sin occurs when we are enticed or tempted and carried away by one’s own lust.  We are lured and then dragged away by our own desire. This happens in one’s heart, as it is out of the heart that comes lusts and evil desires that result in sin (Matthew 15:19). 

 We know that enticement comes from Satan, just as it did with Adam and Eve in the Garden.  The unction is to override the will and purposes of God with His will and purpose for our own self-determined will and purpose.  We know from the Word that Satan came to kill, steal, and destroy while Jesus came that we may have life abundantly.   We also know that sin leads to condemnation and spiritual death as it is acted upon (Romans 5:17-18, and James 1:15). 

 While sin brings death to our spirits as it is acted upon, it does not need to be fully acted out to be considered sin.   Jesus says in Matthew 5:27-28,  “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”

 We also know that sin lived out brings separation from God and the judgement of God. Matthew 5: 21-22 says, “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’  But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment.” 

 Sin can cause sickness, disease and even physical death.  There are spiritual laws built into the world and when we oppose them and come against them, we are hindered by this.  Jesus tells the man he healed in John 5:14 to go and sin no more so that nothing worse happens to him.  

 However, we also know that not all sickness and disease is the result of sin.   When the people asked who sinned because a man was born blind, He said that no one sinned, but it happened so that God may be glorified in him (John 9:3).

 Just as the flow and our agreement in one direction is strong with faith and hopefulness, the flow in the other direction can be filled with doubt, disbelief, fear, stress, anger, spite, envy, and other forces that will quench the flow of the spirit from within. [2]

 This author notes that the breath of God, or His unction, originating with creation and the spiritual substance which God released that energized all people with life sustaining force is given as we are born again.  They note that it is this breath within us that influences our daily decisions, desires and, therefore, their ultimate destiny. [2] 

 In this flow of agreeing with some force, whether it be breathed from Satan as a result of the fall, our sinful nature, or breathed from God by the Spirit, it has its force when it comes into alignment with our will and inner desires of the soul.   When our will, desires and appetites are in alignment with God, it is like we have wind in our sails and flow forward naturally and with ease.  And the same with alignment with the sinful nature and the demonic.   Often though, what happens is that we can get stuck in this middle ground of lack of alignment.  

 Paul speaks of this in Romans 7:14- 20, “We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.  And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.  For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.  For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.”

 There are oppositional forces at work in and around us.   And we know that the forces that are sinful in nature are not just human nature but demonically breathed.  Ephesians 6:12 tells us that this wrestling match of internal conflict of God’s life breathed through us, giving us a spirit and conscious in one direction and this other nature within us is demonically charged.   Paul says it is against principalities, against powers, and against the rulers of darkness of this world, and against spiritual wickedness in high places that we battle.  

 Sometimes these forces, like Satan with Jesus in the wilderness, build our inner strength as they try to oppose the Kingdom flow of the Spirit within us.  As we say no to temptations and turn away from things that would not honor God, we grow stronger and grow in momentum as well in the Spirit.   Our faith increases and, like Jesus, we are strengthened in the power of His might.   Steve Backlund notes that we must have great trials and temptations to have great testimonies and triumphs.  

 The opposite is also true.   Where we agree with the sinful nature that is demonically infused, we open the door for more difficulty or flow in this direction.   If we become enough in alignment and agreement with these forces, we can become demonically possessed by them.    This flows more and more as we move further away from alignment with the truth in God.  

 I came to the realization around this many years ago just as I was coming to know the Lord. Before I knew the Lord, I struggled with anger.  And as I had fed my anger over the years with opposing my father to, what I thought was to protect my sister, it became demonically possessed.  I had opened a doorway that was causing me harm and destruction. I wanted it to stop and had heard some self-help material that if I let it all out with someone, it would go away.   I tried this.  It was terrible and made it worse.   What I needed was freedom all together. 

 1 Corinthians 10:13 promises that even when we are suffering under tremendous temptation to go in the direction of sin and are even overtaken by it at times, the Lord will make a way out so that we can escape it and come into alignment.  

  When I came to know the Lord, I was working on my anger, reading Bible studies about how to deal with it, about setting healthy boundaries and about having healthy conversations.  The more I studied and came into alignment with this truth of the Kingdom of God, the easier it became to override this anger.  The sin stopped being able to overtake me and eventually I was completely delivered of the demonic spirit that was behind it and set free.   When this happened, I flowed freely in the Kingdom’s direction instead by the power of the Spirit. 

 One question this brings up to me is where are we conflicted and not in alignment with God?  

 Fear and anxiety used to be an area of conflict for me.  I would wake up in the middle of the night with terrible anxiety attacks.  I didn’t desire this in my life and wanted to be calm and restful but all this worry and these fears just hijacked me and took me in a different direction.   It is interesting that there were terrible temptations to drink or take something to calm my nerves taking me further in the wrong direction.  

 But every time I struggled, I would put on music and then open the Word of God.  As God seemed to break every rule to speak to me, once I heard His loving voice of assurance, I would come back into alignment with God’s goodness and be able to go back to sleep.  Then one time, I just suddenly came in full alignment with the goodness of God and His love for me.  As I confessed this by singing Your Love Is Strong, I came into alignment and it stuck.  I never struggled again with it!  So grateful!

 Coming back to the original verse, what we think, believe, confess and then act upon has spiritual significance in our lives.   It is important that we agree with the right voices and identify and root out the wrong ones so that we have freedom in the Spirit.    As I have been reading frequently lately, this also has to do with us flowing in the nature of God and gifts of the Spirit.  

 If we are conflicted on the inside about the truth, it will stop the flow of the gifts of the Spirit.   We need total alignment and agreement with His will to allow the free flowing of the Spirit.   We need to surrender any resistance.   When we have free access, we operate under the full covenant and all of its resources with the full power of the Spirit.

  I was reading that someone was conflicted about if everyone who was baptized with the Holy Spirit would receive the gifts of tongues.  Because of the internal conflict, whenever he would pray for someone and believe for them to be baptized with the Spirit as he was, it just wouldn’t happen.  But when he came fully in line with the truth that God had this gift for everyone, it flowed naturally.   I am sure this is the same with healings.  When we believe God wants to heal some and not all who are sick or diseased, our conflicted beliefs will limit the flow of the Spirit that joins with our faith and brings it to fruition. 

 While we are trying to be compassionate when people are not being healed, are we really being biblical?   Psalm 103:3 says that He heals all our diseases.  Psalm 105:37 says that there was not one feeble among them.   And Isaiah 53:4-5 says that it is by His stripes that we were healed.

 Notice this is in the past tense that “we were healed.”   It is already done and part of the covenant.  We are not to forget these benefits that He gives us.  Our internal conflict resulting from a lack of faith will hinder our ability to see His healing come forth.  

 With healing, besides being the result of sin, I have found that It may be a root cause of something emotionally in their lives that causes the physical ailment.  We all know that stress, unaddressed, can lead to physical ailments and an early death.

 Once when I was ministering, God gave me words for people about emotional root causes of their sickness or physical ailment.   When I prayed for them about the emotional root cause, it strengthened their faith and as the root cause dissipated, the ailment went away.   But needing physical healing may not be rooted in any emotional or sin cause at all.   No matter what the cause or lack of cause is, God can heal it. 

 I was healed and delivered from more things that most ever experience in their lives… toxic shame, anger, anxiety, phobias, depression and even some physical ailments.  That is just the start, the list goes on and on.   But why me and not others?  We see any time that someone asked in the Bible, He was willing.  Often, in the Bible, it had to do with having faith and being willing.  We see with Naaman, he almost missed his healing by refusing to dip in the Jordan 7 times due to pride.  

  There is an opposing force that is trying to keep us in doubt, disbelief, stubbornness, refusal or pride so we do not receive the healing He has for us.   With the man who sat at the pool for many years, he was looking to the wrong source.   Like me looking to this self-help material that told me to express my anger to get it out, we have to get ourselves in right alignment with the Word. 

 We never saw Jesus say to someone, no sorry, not you.   But there were places where He did not heal others. He passed through and did very few miracles.  As He was leaving the earth, Jesus promised that those who followed Him would do greater miracles.  Then Peter healed people in the power of God by just walking by and Paul’s handkerchief caused people to get healed.

 Yet today, we see people not get healed when we pray and can’t understand it.   I guess the greater question is a question of alignment.  Are we aligned with God and His will?  Are we asking for His healing?   And, are we also doing everything we can in the natural?  Even if it does not happen, we are better believing for it and praying for it than doubting.  

My fish became sick this week with a bacterial infection.   It didn’t look like he was going to make for a while.  His gills were barely moving and he was laying flat on the bottom.  I prayed and asked my friends to pray.  I also did what I knew to fight an infection by giving him a salt bath.  I thought he was dead for a bit.   Then he significantly improved but was swimming upside down for a while.  When he improved, I just knew in my heart he was going to make it.   And suddenly, he was completely better. 

For those who were perishing or had physical ailments because of their sin, sometimes God just still healed them without any repentance.   But also, often the healing seemed to come if they turn from their sinful ways and repent.   When they are no longer sinning and giving entry way to the enemy to cause them harm, this door becomes closed and they can get new alignment.   We see this all the time at where I work.   They come into alignment with God and their lives are totally restored. 

 Coming back again to alignment, I believe this is where declarations can sometimes seem rote but help us come into agreement with God.  As we use our voice that is empowered by the Spirit to proclaim the truth over ourselves as well as others, it brings life and change as it aligns us more with His Kingdom and will.  

 Lord, more than anything, we desire to be in alignment with Your Spirit and will.   Show us where we are conflicted and need to turn in your direction.  Identify and remove obstacles in our lives to being in full alignment.  Also, what a beautiful sight when people are healed or delivered!  Thank you for loving us so well.  We want to believe and see more, help our unbelief! 

  

 

1.      Strong's Greek: 266. ἁμαρτία (hamartia) -- a sin, failure (biblehub.com)

2.      Eberle, Harold R.  Spiritual Realities:  The Breath of God In Us.   Volume 2. 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts