Like Fine Oil Flowing Down

 




“There are three things that are too amazing for me, four that I do not understand: the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a snake on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of a man with a young woman.” (Proverbs 30:18-19)

When are you most in your element?

An eagle in the sky knows what to do instinctually. They are in their element and soar above everything, taking the wind under their wings. As they are doing it, you can see with their ease about it, a sense of, “this is what I was created for.” I imagine the eagle has such joy in soaring as it is fitted so perfectly for it.

Each of us have been custom designed and just perfectly fitted for certain purposes. When we step into our element, we know it because we feel a sense of the wind under our wings and ease where others may struggle more with this. It is the place where our desires, abilities and motivations come together. Some might call it a sweet spot.

Each of us have places that we were created to make a difference, be fruitful and lean into with ease. It is possible to have more than one of these crossings as well but it is something that defines who you are to an extent.

I had no idea really what this was for me but fell into a few things that seemed to have ease for me when I tried them. Others that are now easy for me were once incredibly hard. Probably the one that most defines me is prayer. When I stepped into intercession, it just came together for me and I seemed to understand spiritual principals around it without anyone having to explain them to me. Then later, I found out my name means, “to pray” and that just made so much sense to me. I don’t enjoy so much the labor (hard work) of prayer and fasting, but I love the connection to God and the fruit from it.

I love to talk to God and be close to Him. I have a few life verses and all of them have to do with dwelling with God and the power of prayer. Psalm 27:4, Psalm 65:5, Isaiah 51, and Isaiah 58. I have no doubt I was created and wired for prayer. When I first became saved, my pastor spoke over me that I was called as an intercessor, leader, and author.

I also know that I am gifted when it comes to one-to-one psychology as I volunteered on a suicide hotline for years and loved it. I found great joy and ease as God called me to talk with people who were contemplating suicide and I could help them see a different path forward, encourage them and give them hope. And, finances are an area of blessing and clear anointing. I find I have tons of favor in it with God and this gift has made room for me in meaningful places where I could make a difference.

I can check off the box intercessor and author with a great deal of confidence that God wired me for these and they flow with a good amount of ease. However, operating in leadership was not always easy for me. Now, as I am older and more experienced, it comes naturally but it definitely was not that way when I first became a leader. Doors always seemed to open for me for this but it took a long time to believe that God wired me for it or that I was at all good at it.

Paul speaks about us needing faith to walk in our gifts. At the time I began as a leader, I did not know Christ and could not have any confidence in this. As I became saved, I gained more confidence over time, or faith, that this was something God was specifically calling me into. I love to develop others and it is a passion for me. When I am helping others to grow, I find a great deal of satisfaction from life and seem to be in my element.

Paul says in Romans 12:4-8, “For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.”

A few things I notice about these verses:

I notice that each of these gifts require faith. If we do not believe God has gifted us for the purpose of helping others, we will struggle with operating in the gift. When I first started writing books for example, the hardest part about it was pushing past the lies that I was not adequate as I was focused on my abilities. I pushed past it in obedience to what God spoke but I am still under construction in believing that God actually blesses me and will cause me to stand out with my writing and use it to flourish others. Out of sheer obedience, I put them out but think I still struggle with surrendering making it about my sufficiency [me being good enough] and make it about His sufficiency [Him working through me].

I also notice that all these gifts listed in Romans require others, the body of Christ, to bless others with. These gifts are primarily used to serve others in the body of Christ. Like the boy who gave away his fish and bread, they fed others and multiplied out while also feeding him with what he needed. The gifts bear fruit in our lives while they also bear fruit in other’s lives at the same time. We are just as blessed [if not more] in using our gifts to help others as those who are receiving from us. Our gifts make room for us and are gifts for us to use in blessing others.

I also notice that God purposefully gave us different gifts in the body of Christ. We are one body and we are to make room for the others in the body to come along side us and help us. We only fully function when we are integrated with each other in using our gifts. As Paul notes, we need each other and their giftings. What I have alone to offer was never made to be sufficient by itself. The word ‘belongs’ in Romans 12:5 means ‘one whole.’ We are made whole and are one as the Bride of Christ when we operate in our gifts in unity.

This gets to this flow of anointing that comes from operating in unity. Psalm 133 says, “Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in harmony! It is like fine oil on the head, running down on the beard, running down Aaron’s beard over the collar of his robes. It is like the dew of Hermon falling on the mountains of Zion. For there the LORD has bestowed the blessing of life [active, alive, refreshing] forevermore.”

When we operate in unity as the body of Christ and make room for others to use their gifts alongside of us, the Lord anoints it and adds blessing to it. There is a spiritual substance that is like anointing oil that flows down from Jesus and onto the Kingdom work being done in a unified way that honors Him and others.

An example would be of Oxen pulling a cart. With one oxen, they can pull a certain weight but with two oxen yoked together, they can pull 10 times the weight. It is interesting that, over and over, visible proof demonstrates that a team of animals yoked together can accomplish significantly more than the same number working individually on their own.

Yoked together implies operating side by side. Sometimes I see people call something unity which lacks unity. For instance, someone will say an event is a multidenominational unity event but it is led by people of all one denomination and does not make room for any other viewpoints or people operating alongside. This may be unity within the denomination and across a few churches but it is not multidenominational unity as the idea is that one way is the best and everyone else needs to convert.

All that to say that when one dominates, there may be command and control by them but not necessarily a flow of unity that comes from trusting and inspiring others according to their giftings. In faith, one has to believe not only in themselves being gifted, but that there is greatness inside each person next to them and our job is to unleash their full potential as well. [1] There is a greater trust that is trusting God and extending that trust out to others and taking them with you.

At the same time, like Joshua or Gideon’s army, there is typically one called to lead and direct the whole and various leaders at different levels. And God's anointing flows in a unified group of people of all the same denomination. When a group is trusting the Lord and coming together, there is a flow of God's power.

Yet, it is not automatic that if two people join forces with the same mission that they are going to have a significant increase in abilities together. The key is not only unity, but stepping in the place of blessing out of obedience to the Lord. We have to be in line with the Lord and the Spirit to receive this blessing poured out upon us in unity.

In Joshua 23:19-11, Joshua tells the people, “The LORD has driven out great and powerful nations before you, and to this day no one can stand against you. One of you can put a thousand to flight, because the LORD your God fights for you, just as He promised. Therefore watch yourselves carefully, that you love the LORD your God…”

When we are in line with the Kingdom of God, we can access the resources available to us through it. We are under covenant so we have God fighting on our side for us. We operate out of a different realm of resources than our worldly order. We are not limited to the natural constraints. This is why Gideon’s army could take the whole camp by a prophetic act. It was standing in obedience to God, aligned with his purposes while also standing in unity with others.

Harold R. Eberle speaks of this anointing as a “corporate authority” as there is unified goals and mission. He writes, “Their corporate authority is always greater than the sum of their individual authorities. This authority is the result of deep heart commitments…. Not only is work easier, but the authority upon them is greater. This authority flows out of the united group as if a spiritual stream were established in the spiritual realm.” [2]

Something we have to also keep in mind is that while we are anointed in our areas of gifting from God, operating in our gifts does not keep us from making big mistakes. We see with Joshua and the people of God at Ai that they were called together to take the land, standing in God’s purposes and corporately anointed, some of them sinned and kept treasure. The result was that they failed terribly and needed to repent.

We also see this with those who were individually anointed to be leaders of the Israelite tribes. A leader from every tribe was called forth to assess the Promised Land. These were probably seasoned leaders that had significant influence and a measure of faith from leaving Egypt and encountering the Lord at Sinai. However, when they assessed the Promise Land, ten of these leaders came back with a bad report. They saw the land in terms of their own sufficiency and failed to see it in light of faith. Since they were chosen to lead and functioning in their God given responsibilities, their influence was immense. The Israelites not only backed off and refused to enter the land but they threatened to stone Moses and Aaron. (Numbers 14)

While failures occurred, this did not stop the promises of God from coming forth. On occasion, like with the Israelites wondering back around in the desert, it did delay the promises while people were given room to learn and grow. And if needed like in this case, he used other people to accomplish His purpose. But always, He would work through people, even in their failures, to advance his Kingdom plan.

The Lord never fails us and will accomplish His purposes. Even in our failures and disappointments, He is leading us faithfully. In Psalm 73:23-24, Asaph, after sinning by becoming embittered about wickedness advancing, he proclaims, “Yet I still belong to You; You hold my right hand. You guide me with Your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.”

Not always, but failure can be rooted in fear or offense. It is a blessed place when we do not shrink back or become offended with Jesus. Judas was offended and it led him down the wrong course. But it started with him sinning by stealing. He had this place of want, perhaps rooted in fear of poverty. Most often, even want is rooted in fear to extent because we convince ourselves that we need more and we fear we will be in lack if we don’t have it.

All that to say that trusting in the Lord is key to accessing the Kingdom of God and all the resources He provides. There is always a question being asked, ‘Will you trust Me?’ And the more we trust, it seems the more God asks us to step out in trust. If we shrink back and fail to trust, this flow of anointing stops. Like Joshua’s or Gideon’s army, there was a unified trust that the Lord would meet them when they stepped out. Then when they did in a unified force, the impact was powerful. In one occasion, the sun stood still in the sky while they battled.

Lord, I am so grateful that You never leave us or forsake us, even in our failures, You are working it for our good and will still bring forth your glorious purposes. Help us to operate in unity, in one with You and with others, as we look to You and set our hearts toward Your purposes for this hour. Grow us in trust and unify us together around your purposes. Anoint the work of our hands and make it fruitful for Your Kingdom.

  1. Covey, Stephen M. Trust and Inspire: How Truly Great Leaders Unleash Greatness in Others. Simon & Shuster, New York, NY. 2022.
  2. Eberle, Harold. Volume 5. Spiritual Realities: Spiritual Dynamics Between People. Winepress Publishing, Yakima, Washington. 1998.

Comments

Popular Posts