My Thoughts on Fenelon, Let Go, Letter 20

God gives us the grace to go through whatever circumstances He puts us in. As it says in Ecclesiastes, there is a time and season for everything. One thing is certain, God does not leave us stagnant. He is constantly giving us circumstances the forge and shape who we are becoming. He is forming us more and more in his image.

The person that Fenleon was mentoring in Let Go had learned to see God in their painful circumstances and now, God was changing the circumstances back to the busyness of life. They were now going to have to learn how to see God in all the busyness.

I love the quiet places with God. I love to sit in my prayer room and read my bible or listen to worship and talk with God. There is nothing I would rather do. When I get up in the morning, I sometimes (okay, often) pray that I could stay home with Him all day just talking with Him and reading my Bible.

“All I really want to do is find you, all I really want to do is stay there when I do” sings in the background. I love to be in the place of feeling close to God. I sometimes dread the busyness of life. Anything that draws me in to see Him is what is important to me.

The truth is that God is with me in the busyness and stress of life. I just need to learn to see God in everything. I need to see God wherever I go and whatever I do. I need to learn to hear Him and learn how to be near Him even on extremely high stress days. It is a gift of grace that He gives me a desire to be near Him.

“Let me be found with a heart after You... May you be all that is on my mind all of the time…” sings in the background.

Fenelon notes that we should not be surprised at finding that we are becoming sensitive, impatient, haughty, and self-willed in the bustle of life. We need to be made aware that this is our natural disposition and without God’ grace we will never be different. This is so true! When I am alone with God, life is pretty easy because there is no one there to bump up against me.

However, as one of my pastors from church once noted, when people bump up against us, what is in us will spill out over the person that bumps into us. Fenelon notes that we need to become submissive and manageable as soon as we sense any resistance in our will. Be silent as much as you can. Be in no hurry to judge, but think through…” What wonderful advice! I wish I was not so slow to follow it!

If we commune with God throughout the day and are filled with Him, then when people bump into us what they will get is love, patience, longsuffering, joy, etc. The truth is that it is in the busyness of everyday life that God gives us the opportunities to bless others and make a difference in their lives. If we only read the Word and do not live it out when life is busy, crazy and stressful, then what do we really have to show for our faith?

Comments

Popular Posts