Thoughts on "Let Go" by Fenelon, Letter 40, the Circumcision of the Heart

Fenelon notes that John “completely forgot himself so that he might think only of Jesus.” It was not his religious disciplines and strict life that made John great but his “willingness to magnify Jesus.”

John did have strict disciplines in his life. It was not that John should have thrown them out the window. However, they were not what defined his relationship with Christ. His relationship was defined by passion. He was passionate. Out of this radical passion, he chose disciplines that would put him nearer to the one thing that He treasured most.

All that John the Baptist did in his life was devoted to magnify Jesus at the expense of self. John did not choose to be great or significant in life. He did not choose to please people. John was set free from self as He beheld something so much greater. He did not pursue Jesus because others were. There was not even a group of Christians to encourage him or say how much they approved of him.

Yet people followed him. Odd as he was, he had disciples and others who chose to learn his ways. Why was this? Because his love for Jesus and passion was evident in everything he did. He had a radical relationship with God that others took notice of. There was no escaping who John was.

John’s whole purpose in life was to draw others to Christ. It was the fragrance of the Rose of Sharon that made him appealing. It was the fragrance of Christ inside him which came out of him because of his radical faith and belief in God.

People were not impressed with the disciplines in his life. They were intoxicated with the aroma of the Rose of Sharon.

God had spoke this to my previous pastor early in her ministry – she was the Rose of Sharon. What He was saying to her was that she carried His aroma. People, including myself, were drawn to her because we could smell the life of God on her. Being around her left me feeling hungry for God and wanting more of Him in my life.

She had incredible passion in pursuing God that was reflected by rigorous spiritual disciplines in her life. I was never attracted to the disciplines she maintained. But, it was the aroma of Christ in her life that drew me to begin to incorporate those same disciplines in my own life. I deeply wanted to have the kind of relationship with Christ that she had.

Lord, I long to smell with the fragrance of Christ. Help me to completely die to myself. Forgive me where I have resisted your will and your way. Forgive me where I have not easily died to self, recognition and significance. Please draw me closer after you.

Comments

Popular Posts