"In every generation, each person has the obligation to look at himself, to look at herself,
As if personally brought out of Egypt.
We have discussed liberation and sung its praises.
We have recounted oppression and remembered its tears.
We have numbered our blessings and offered our gratitude.
And now, with pangs of hunger in our bellies,
We prepare to indulge in a feast of redemption.
Still, others cannot celebrate liberation. Others yet shed tears.
Others cannot yet sing out, "Dayenu." Others yet hunger for redemption.
Each one of us has the power to act as an agent of redemption,
If only we can see ourselves as God's partners in pursuing justice.
I can stay the tears of others,
If I can see myself as diminished by their sorrows.
I can hasten the time when everyone will be able to rejoice in freedom,
If I can see myself as the companion of those fighting against oppression.
I can honor the history and struggles of my own people,
If I can respond to the struggles of people everywhere to gain dignity and deliverance from bondage.
When I look at myself in the mirror after this celebration of freedom,
Who will I see? "
Rabbi Jack Moline, SPECIAL PESACH READING

Comments

Popular Posts