“Let's learn about Yahweh. Let's get to know Yahweh. He will come to us as sure as the morning comes.

Hosea 11:8-9,
“How can I give you up, Ephraim?
How can I hand you over, Israel?
How can I make you like Admah?
How can I treat you like Zebolm?

I have changed my mind. I am deeply moved.

I will not act on my burning anger. I will not destroy Ephraim again. I am El, not a human. I am the Holy One among you, and I will not come to you in anger.”

God's heart of love and pursuit is so clearly evident in the book of Hosea. God was chasing after Israel in her harlotry. He so longed for His people to hear His true heart in His proclamations and judgments that He had Hosea marry a prostitute so he could understand firsthand and speak from the heart.

His judgment, punishment, and strong words were not meant to utterly destroy Israel, but to get them to turn from their idolatry and repent.

Hosea 6:1 says,
“Let's return to Yahweh.
Even though he has torn us to pieces, he will heal us.
Even though he has wounded us, he will bandage our wounds.”

His ultimate goal was that of love and union with his people not destruction. He wanted them to truly know Him and become one with Him.

Hosea 2:19-20 says,
“Israel, I will make you my wife forever.
I will be honest and faithful to you.
I will show you my love and compassion.
I will be true to you, my wife.
Then you will know Yahweh.

Commentary notes, “Betrothal was a binding commitment, the last step before the wedding and consummation. forever: The Lord emphasized that the new marriage between Himself and Israel would be permanent.” [1]

To know Yahweh,is the Hebrew word yada, Strongs #3045. It means “to make oneself known, reveal oneself.” [2] It is a knowing “which comes through experience with the senses, by investigation and proving, by reflection and consideration (firsthand knowing).” [3]

This is not a “knowing” that is from having learned of or heard of God but that of seeing, hearing and experiencing Him for ourselves. God is an intimate God who desires us to know (yada) Him. Many of the Israelites were following a set of religious rules rather than having a relationship with God.

They were sacrificing and doing all the things that looked good on the outside. While they had all the right religious talk, they didn't 'know' God in the sense of having a relationship with Him and delighting in Him.

This is what God longed for. He told them, keep their sacrifices and give Him instead their heart. Delight in me and honor me rather than following my rules. He said in Hosea 6:6, “I want your loyalty, not your sacrifices. I want you to know me, not to give me burnt offerings.”

When we are following a set of rules and regulations rather than truly having a genuine relationship with God, we are going to be left empty and hungry for something to fill us. In this empty place, we can easily turn to idolatry.

I love to fast and pray, but there was a time that I was working way too hard at it. It became something I was doing in the flesh rather than the Spirit. I had a dream where I was fasting and praying but in the midst of it, my face was unhappy. I felt God speak to me that to trust Him, delight in Him, and relish in His goodness was worth so much more to Him than all my fasting. What He really wanted was not for me to work so hard but to delight in Him and 'know' Him.

I had a dream where I was fasting and praying but in the midst of it, my face was unhappy. God seemed to be unhappy about this because I wasn't trusting Him and seeing His goodness in the midst of my circumstances.   I felt God speak to me that to trust Him, delight in Him, and relish in His goodness was worth so much more to Him than all my fasting. What He really wanted seemed to be not as much my fasting as for me to delight in Him and 'know' Him.

This longing for His people to 'know' him is also expressed in Hosea 6:3, after the people returned to Yahweh and turned from their idolatry, Hosea prophetically proclaims, “Let's learn about Yahweh. Let's get to know Yahweh. He will come to us as sure as the morning comes. He will come to us like the autumn rains and the spring rains that water the ground.”

Job is an example of coming to a place of knowing God after suffering and repenting. Job suffered tremendous difficulty. Eventually he came to a place of being able to see and repent from his self-idolatry and self-righteous pride.  Through this, he came to really know God (rather than just 'know' about him by what he was told about God). Job 42:5-6 says, “I had heard about you with my own ears, but now I have seen you with my own eyes. That is why I take back what I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show that I am sorry.”

God speaks of punishing the people of Israel in Hosea so that they turn from their harlotry and know Him.  God does not desire to punish us or bring His judgments upon us in a way that would destroy us. Rather it is out of a passionate jealousy that He pursues us.  It  is out of  a desire for us to be totally His and know (yada) Him that he goes after us.

The punishment for sin is death (Romans 1:32). But God demonstrated what His judgment looked like when He sent His Son to pay the price. 1 Jn 4:29 says, “In this the love of God was made manifest (displayed) where we are concerned: in that God sent His Son, the only begotten or unique [Son], into the world so that we might live through Him.”

Paul demonstrated a little of this kind of passion with the church in Corinth when they were being led astray. He would be full of hard words and rebukes in his letters to them because his desire was to be able to come to them in meekness as they repented.

He asks the church in 1 Corinthians 4:31, “When I come to visit you, would you prefer that I punish you or show you love and a gentle spirit?”

He says in 2 Corinthians 11:2-3, “I'm as protective of you as God is. After all, you're a virgin whom I promised in marriage to one man -Christ. However, I'm afraid that as the snake deceived Eve by its tricks, so your minds may somehow be lured away from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.”

In 2 Corinthians 13:2-4 Paul goes on to say, “I already warned you when I was with you the second time, and even though I'm not there now, I'm warning you again. When I visit you again, I won't spare you. That goes for all those who formerly led sinful lives as well as for all the others. Since you want proof that Christ is speaking through me, that's what you'll get. Christ isn't weak in dealing with you...

vs 10,
That's why I'm writing this letter while I'm not with you. When I am with you I don't want to be harsh by using the authority that the Lord gave me. The Lord gave us this authority to help you, not to hurt you.”

God, thank you for your relentless pursuit and passionate desire for us to 'know' you. I am so grateful for Your goodness and all the reasons You give day after day to delight in You. I stand amazed. Draw us deeper into this love and 'knowing' you. Where we have gotten off-course, draw us back to You.









1. Radmacher, Earl D. ; Allen, Ronald Barclay ; House, H. Wayne: The Nelson Study Bible : New King James Version. Nashville : T. Nelson Publishers, 1997, S. Ho 2:19

2. Strong, James: The Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible : Showing Every Word of the Text of the Common English Version of the Canonical Books, and Every Occurrence of Each Word in Regular Order. electronic ed. Ontario : Woodside Bible Fellowship., 1996, S. H3045

3. Vine, W. E. ; Unger, Merrill F. ; White, William: Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words. Nashville : T. Nelson, 1996, S. 1:130

Comments

Popular Posts