Follow the way of love...



“Be on your guard, stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love.”

“Love it is the only way. Love it is the only way. Love it is the only way the kingdom comes” sings in the background.

Paul notes that we can give all our stuff away, do all kinds of incredible things we think are spiritual – even moving mountains – but if we do not have love, we are nothing. We have nothing and gain nothing without love. (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

Love matters. Love - not our careers, significance, education, accomplishments, goals, projects or even doing good matter in themselves... Love is what matters. It is the most important thing we can do with our time.

“How do we get back?” sings in the background.

“Can we give up on winning and the need to be right? Can we fight for each other and end this long, long night? How do we get back?”

Paul breaks into a beautiful poem about what love looks like... it looks like God:

“Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy.
It does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others.
It is not self-seeking.
It is not easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trust, always hopes, always perseveres.

“Will you move toward each other and let one another in? That's how we get back.

I believe we can get back” sings in the background.

Really?

I know love is the most important thing we can do with our time. I read words like these of Paul's and think, “Yes, I can do this. I will work hard at being patient, being kind, not feeling proud. I'll read more books about love. I spend more time meditating on love and somehow it will seep in.

To a small extent this seems to work. However, sometimes the harder I try, the more I blow it. I get stressed, over extended and tired. I run out of capacity and still have things to do and people who need love in my life. Sometimes I lie awake at night thinking about how I have blown it... the people I have neglected, overlooked and failed to love.

It's not intentional that I sometimes miss the mark with people. I am not setting out thinking to myself for example that I am going to purposefully forget to call or check in.. .or be inconsiderate. Life is just busy.

Other times, for example I sometimes hold a grudge for a time.. I tell myself not to hold a grudge and I should forgive but then I don't really do it. I write the command out in my journal about not holding a grudge and then I hold on to the grudge and let it sit for a time while feeling guilty about it but at the same time resentful.

Sometimes I think the answer is work harder at it, other times I think the answer is spend more time alone with God, other times I think it must be to do more.

“Arise. There's a new way to live. Thought we were living, but that's not what we did....” sings.

Paul goes on to say these incredible words in 1 Corinthians 13:8, “Love never fails.”

The point is not what I can do. It is God's love that never fails. It is not about me working harder or getting it right. The point is not finding the right formula for my time, schedule or activities. The point is God's love never fails me. When I am out of capacity, He is there. I can receive His love right where I am at.

“But the question remains, have we ever truly lived?” sings.

The way to live is not about doing more, being more, getting more right. It is about letting His love in right where I am at... in all my weaknesses, failures, shortcomings, getting over stressed, not sleeping, sometimes crabbiness and impatience.

And as I let this love in, it doesn't mean that I am going to now get it all right. The truth is I will still fail to love at times, fall short of both my and other's expectations and mess things up. 

“Either way You are still for us” sings. 

What I can count on is both that I will fall short of loving but that God never will. His love is endless. He will meet me exactly where I am at – today and everyday.


"The One who is making everything new doesn't see me the way that I do" sings. 

Lord, my heart so agrees that love is the only way the kingdom comes. I long to have more to give but I know I need to receive it from you first. Your love is limitless and unfailing.  Thank you that you are making us new everyday.   Meet us exactly where we are at today with Your love.

Comments

Popular Posts