"...I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things."


“And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given to me- the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace.”

A.W. Tozer writes about Paul, “If even three hundred of God's people became that serious, our world would never hear the last of it! They would influence the news. Their message would go everywhere like birds on the wing. They would set off a great revival of New Testament faith and witness.

God wants to deliver us from the easygoing, smooth and silky, fat, and comfortable Christianity so fashionable today. I hope we are willing to let the truth get hold of us, even a the cost of rejection or embarrassment.” [1]

Sometimes we can have a “I do for You and You bless me in return” mentality. ... If we give to God, He will open the windows of heaven and pour out blessings upon us...therefore we should give to Him.

When we give with an expectation of getting something, we turn our relationship into a transaction that is focused on manipulating God to get something. Jacob held to this kind of theology when he promised to give God a 10th of everything he had if God would provide for his needs.

These expectations we put on God of blessing us are often not specifically intentional, but often subconscious beliefs. We believe we are somehow entitled to some extent of comfort or convenience. We should have a a certain level of significance and acknowledgement, we should have a certain level of living, we should have certain comforts.  And what about friends and family?  Blessing in these should be added too... God should add them and not subtract from them.

When Paul went out to minister, he came as a tentmaker so he would not need to expect support from anyone. He writes, “I have not coveted anyone's silver or gold or clothing. You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions.” (Acts 20:33-34)

Paul was speaking the elders from Ephesus when he was giving his last words, commending them to God and saying His goodbyes before he headed off to Jerusalem. Paul had built an incredible ministry. He established several churches and had mentored and discipled several leaders and spiritual children to carry on the gospel.

He had several deep and meaningful relationships. In Acts 20:36-38 it says, “When Paul had finished speaking, he knelt down with all of them and prayed. They all wept as they embraced him and kissed him. What grieved them most was his statement that they would never see his face again. Then they accompanied him to the ship.

Again, when he came through Ceasarea, the people with him begged him not to go to Jerusalem. He answered, “Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.”

Rather than holding on to the work that he established, the rich relationships he had, or congratulating himself for the things he has done for God and even the way he supported himself in it (thinking God owed him for it somehow), Paul let everything go for the greater prize of winning Christ Jesus. He counted everything as loss.

"I'll leave all that I have known and I'll have no other. For I am in love with You and there is no cost.  I am in love with you and there is no loss" sings

Paul said in Philippians 3:8, “What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ.”

"Just let me cling to You Jesus" sings.

“Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.” (Psalm 75:25)

"I will suffer the loss of all things for the sake of knowing You"  sings.  

Jeremiah 9:23-24, “Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things," declares the LORD.…”

"It is no sacrifice to waste my life... You're worth it all" sings.

Over and over, Paul threw himself completely into the will of God with total abandonment and no reserves. Paul held nothing back in his pursuit of God. Paul was after the heart of God in a way that was willing to abandon and surrender all he had, all he was, all he did and all he loved to God. 
 
Paul writes in Philippians 3:10-11, “I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,  and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.”

"I'll say goodbye to my father, my mother, I'll turn my back on every other lover and I'll press on" sings.  

God answered Paul's prayer as he willing said yes in his heart to more. Paul came to know Christ through all he suffered, the oppression, riots, beatings and scorning. However, he also knew the incredible power of God to heal, restore and bring life.

Acts 19:11-12 says, “God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illness were cured and the evil spirits left them.”

However, Paul threw all of it that he had experienced, known and been given at Christ's feet as worship. Where it eventually led Paul was to his own cross.. a place of letting it all go for being in chains out of obedience.

“Lord, You are more precious than silver, Lord, You are more costly than gold. Lord, You are more beautiful than diamonds and nothing that I desire compares to You” sings.
 
It is often said that we are shaped by those who we spend our time with. Lord, in spending some time with Paul, all the comforts, conveniences, and things I think I need in life fall to the ground.

“I'll love You to the end, You're beautiful” sings.

Help us to be more like Paul and not grip hold but let go of all You have provided us with to love You more. Help us to truly be a worshiper that throws all at your feet and says in our hearts yes to knowing You more and pursuing You with our whole hearts.

Give us open hands and open hearts that follow You anywhere You direct us without shrinking back.

Nothing that I desire compares to You” sings.   



1.  Tozer, A.W., The Pursuit of God Bible. NIV.  Jesus is Victor!  Hendrickson Bibles, Peabody, MA. 2013.

Comments

Popular Posts