"I will make of thee a great nation..."



“...I will accept you and make you into a fearsome nation, far greater and more impressive than they might be or could ever dream of being.” (Numbers 14:11)

There was a time in my life that I could never dream of having the freedom I have in my life today. I was just painfully surviving from day to day bound up in so much fear, despair and inadequacy. Like my littlest, I would often look down when someone would look me in the eye and I had a strong desire to hide when I was noticed. With the pain and little hope of freedom, contemplating suicide  became part of my daily regular routine when I was young and carried with me into adulthood.

Then I met God and my life totally changed. Day after day He has loved me into greater and greater life. He loved me out of my despair, hopelessness and fear and into greater joy, peace and trust. This is just who God is.... unrelenting love. We cannot walk with God without being changed by Him and loved into greater life.

Paul says in 2 Corinthians 3:18, "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit."
 
In Numbers 14:18, Moses quoted God, “You declared, “I am slow to get angry and overflow with consistently boundless love. I forgive wrongdoing and waywardness, but I don't overlook the necessity for justice, so I punish the guilty ones' third and fourth coming generations.

Moses was reminding God because the people were stubborn and persistently faithless. They kept following the ways they learned from the past in Egypt and were not letting go of them. The people griped about how they felt life was for them and made evil complaints. Numbers 11:1 notes, “He was furious about this ingratitude, faithlessness, and lack of vision.

Their appetites were not for walking with God but for the things of the past. They resented the daily manna that God was providing them. In addition to this, they were proud, comparing, and power hungry. Even Aaron and Miriam, part of the leadership, were looking for power and comparing themselves to Moses.

Moses longed for God to be with them and make them into a different people that trusted and honored God. As God's servant, Moses prayed, longed and endured patiently the people, continually calling them more and more into trust and wholeheartedness.

As he did, God patiently cared for them, carried them and gave them what they needed until He nurtured them to life and was able to bring them into the land He had promised to them. Duet. 1:31 notes, “...in the wilderness where you saw how the LORD your God carried you, just as a man carries his son, in all the way which you have walked until you came to this place.' “

God didn't cater to what they wanted or appease them. Rather, He nurtured them and gave them what they needed despite their complaints and whining about it. Duet. 8:3 notes, “He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD.”

God calls us out of our lives of comparison, competitiveness, and power into a life of humble service, devotion, and love. We get there not by being appeased and catered to on what we want but by allowing God to feed us our daily manna, have His way in our lives, and die to ourselves as we come out of selfishness, complaining and ingratitude into trust.
Jean Vanier writes, “Jesus came to lead us from this rivalry and competition so that we become more human, more compassionate, more open to others.

He came to liberate us from our personal or collective selfishness, from the fears and the prejudices that enclose us in ourselves. He came to lead us on the road of love. We cannot move out from self-centeredness to self-giving unless we receive a new force from God. This new life or growth in the Spirit needs to be nourished. Jesus came to give us a special food so that we may attain fullness of life.” [1]

“And we come rejoicing, and singing, and crying out to You Lord. Can you hear the roar... as we respond to who You are and all that You have done with our lives Lord” sings. “… We're servants to love in lost humanity...”

We come out of our collective comparisons and selfishness, to love others to life. As Moses partnered with God in leading the people out of bondage and through the wilderness, we become partners with God to lead and love others into greater life.

Jean Vanier writes, “To become a good shepherd is to come out of the shell of selfishness in order to be attentive to those for whom we are responsible so as to reveal to them their fundamental beauty and value and help them to row and become fully alive.” [2]

In the same way that God liberates us by giving us what we need and loving us to life, our job as parents and shepherds to others is not to appease them and cater to what they want, but meet their needs and form them sometimes despite their complaining. We are to help them grow in selflessness, serving and love for others.

Today's world paints such a picture for parents and kids of a good parent being someone who caters to their kids every whim. When my youngest two watch cartoons, the commercials pop on with parents who give their kids whatever they want.

There is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle mom who has her house designed with a manhole that goes to the kids bedroom. Mom buys all the latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toys and tosses them down to the kids. She is viewed as supermom by her kids and adored.

I love to be the “good mom” and it is such a temptation at times to cater to and appease my kids. I just eat it up when my kids tell me, “your the greatest mom in the world.” I am on the top of the world. Then I do something that doesn't appeal to them and I just as easily can fall from graces. My kids can get expectations at times that my job is to cater to them and resent it when I don't.

To cater to ones kids comes from a place of self-centeredness. When I do this at times, I think it is probably more about what I need/desire (to be appreciated by them as a 'good mom') than what they need.

Dr. Henry Cloud & John Townsend write, “The real goal of parenting is developing mature character. When children grow up with mature character, they are able to take their place as adults in the world and function properly in all areas of life. Character growth under God is the main goal of child rearing, for character provides the structure and ability to respond to life's challenges. In other words, character is the sum of our abilities to deal with life as God designed us to.” [3]

This is also the goal of shepherding. Paul says in Colossians 1:28, “He is the one we proclaim, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ.”

Lord, thank you for the ways that You grow us into maturity – not by catering to our desires but giving us what we truly need despite our response to Your work among us. Help us to love others more like You love us. Forgive me where I have done otherwise.


I don't want to just get the answers right
I don't want to just live for this life
I want so much more than the world can give
Would you teach me to really live?

Would you meet me where I am here?
There used to be so much I would fear
I no longer struggle the same with the worry or self-doubt
No longer suffer under the weight of it all
More yet, my life once so filled with despair
Joy and peace have become my fare

What more dear Father could I ask of You.
Your goodness has more than seen me through
My shoes have not worn and all my needs more than met
Yet there is more I'm longing for yet ..
You are my treasure the One that I long
That I would be nearer to this One whom I belong
That every day would be filled with Your touch
That my life would speak that I love you so much
Teach me to like Jacob to say yes in it all
Teach me like him to offer You my all


1-2.  Vanier, Jean.  Drawn into the Mystery of Jesus through the Gospel of John.  Novalis, St. Paul University, Ottawa, Canada. 2004.

3.   Cloud, Dr. Henry and Townsend, Dr. John.   Taken from notes that were from Life Journey Bible.  

Comments

Popular Posts