"The True God has revealed Himself as a mighty fortress."

Picture Located at: https://preceptaustin.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/christ-our-rock-of-refuge-part-2/
“When the Eternal your God has destroyed the nations whose land He's going to give you, when you've driven them out and have settled in their cities and are living in their houses, then designate three cities of refuge for yourselves in the land that He is giving to you to live in. Divide your territory into three parts, locate one city centrally in each part, and measure the roads to each to them. That way a person who kills someone accidentally can escape to one of these cities and be safe from revenge. (Deut. 19:1-3)

The cities of refuge were not places you could hide if you intentionally were causing harm out of hate. They were not loopholes for getting out of consequences for intentional actions and malice. They were places that you could find rest, refuge, and protection when you made a serious error.

It was a place one could run and find protection from any disaster that would result from their error. These cities reminded people that there was grace when they blew it. It would not be a disaster if they really messed up.

Ever really screwed up unintentionally? Just blew it and you knew it and felt that awful sense of regret?

For me, any time I sinned or messed up, these used to be places where I would struggle with terrible anxiety attacks. I would sometimes (pretty regularly) wake up at 3:00 am realizing I messed up and pace the floor feeling totally overwhelmed. I would go into my prayer room, turn on some worship music and look to my bible for comfort.

Everything in me would be shaken and I could hardly hear God at all. All I could think about was how I messed up and this huge hammer was going to fall. I didn't know what would happen, but I knew it would be a total disaster.

Somehow, God would find a way to speak to me some words of tremendous grace. He seemed to break every rule to get to me and let me know it was okay and all would be fine. As I heard from Him, my whole body would calm down and then I would go back to bed in peace.

Then one time, He spoke to me through a song, "Your Love is Strong" by Jon Foreman during an anxiety attack. As I was in my prayer room and singing along with the music, I was suddenly healed.  I went back to bed in peace and no longer had a problem after that with anxiety attacks. 

A place of refuge is an asylum- a place of secure retreat, care, and sanctuary. These places of refuge were fortified places of security. They were dwelling places of deep rest and security in the midst of trouble and being deserving of punishment. Words like shelter, hope and trust are tied to one Hebrew word for refuge, machceh.

God is a place of refuge for us in the midst of our difficulties – not only from our own mistakes and sin but from all troubles that come our way. He is a dwelling place of security. We can find the deepest rest, even when we make terrible mistakes by running into Him. He atones for all our sins and provides protection against our accusers.

Cities of refuge were not just one time stops when we got into deep trouble, but they became places of dwelling. One not only ran there when they were in trouble but they lived there – it became their permanent place of dwelling. They learned a new way of living in this place of deep rest and security.

Hiding out in caves and tired of running from trouble, David took refuge in God and found a permanent dwelling place in Him. He proclaimed in Psalm 18:2, “The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”

The Voice says it this way, "The Eternal is my rock, my fortress, and my salvation; He is my True God, the stronghold in which I hide, my strong shield, the horn that calls forth help, and my tall-walled tower."

Psalm 91 speaks of dwelling in this place of refuge:


Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
Surely he will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.
If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
 no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
 “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.”

We are to continually find our refuge and strength in God and dwell (take up residence and live) in this place.  Wayne Muller, in his book Sabbath, about finding rest renewal and delight in our busy lives notes that Sabbath taking in much like the practice of taking refuge.[1]  It is the art of practicing rest.

Rest can be a cease in movement, a physical relaxing, a motionless state and/or an interval of silence. But the Pharisees practiced this kind of rest and never really experienced true rest. One can work hard at not doing anything and still be filled with inner turmoil, worry and strife.

Jesus proclaims, “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden [burdened down], and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls...”

In this sense, rest is a relief from burdens and weariness. It is a refreshing and replenishment. And Thayer's Greek Lexicon notes it is a calm state of patient expectation. True rest is only found in God. It is to Jesus we come to find true rest for our souls.

It makes sense that rest is found when we slow down our over hurried lives to be present with God. Perhaps rest (taking refuge and Sabbath keeping) is more a state of being with and in God. And in his presence is fullness of joy. Perhaps rest could even be more of a joyful, unburdened state of feasting on the goodness of God. Wayne Muller speaks of a state of joyful delight [2]. Perhaps true rest can come in a joyful delight in the moment with God that is full of gratitude.

Sometimes it seems lately that my times of greatest rest our active times. This is totally opposite of a few years ago when I didn't have any young kids at home. I used to be able to set a whole day apart just for being with God. These days with the kids, I am lucky to get a few minutes. Sometimes I sneak up early to have a little time with God only to find about 5 minutes later my littlest waking up and yelling, “mom! Where are you?”

Yet, sometimes I can find such an overflowing gratitude and feast of goodness just being with my family and seeing God's overwhelming goodness all around me in the moment. My two young ones and me will pray for each other or one of them will share one of their headphones with me when they are worshiping or a bible story and we feast on His goodness together. Other times it is just talking with them about what is on their heart. Moments of communion with those closest to me deeply touch me and bring me life.

Lord, You are a mighty fortress and place where we can find refuge from any storm or difficulty. You Let us not only run there when we are in trouble but learn to dwell there with You. Help us to trust You in all circumstances. Give us true rest and a deeper sense of security in you.

1-2.  Muller, Wayne.   Sabbath.  Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in our Busy Lives.  

Comments

Popular Posts