Overcome Elemental Spiritual Forces

 



See to it that no one takes you captive through hallow and deceptive philosophy [fine sounding arguments that weaken your faith in Christ such as circumcision- self-imposed worship and false humility], which depends on human tradition and elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than Christ.   Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules: ‘Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!? These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings.  Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence. (Colossians 2:8, 20-23)

Years ago, I heard a testimony by a transgender man.  He said that he tried everything to stop going in the direction that he seemed to be pulled related to dressing as a woman.  In regard to religion, he said that he would inflict injuries and pain upon himself (lashes) as a means to constrain himself and it didn’t work.  As a conclusion, he determined there was no God to help him. He gave in to his desires, left his wife and children, and began dressing as a woman.  It was his “nature.” Where he failed, is to never find Jesus and get a new nature all together.

Before we know Christ, we do have a sinful nature.   Paul speaks of this sinful nature that drives us in Romans 7:15-20, “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.  As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.  For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.  Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.”

Paul concludes that although he wants to do good, evil wages war against this and makes him a prisoner in this body that is subject to death.  But “Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!”

The solution is not found by controlling our own urges from our sinful nature.  When Adam ate of the fruit of the Tree of Life, our natures became that of sin.  In order to get freedom, we have to shed the old nature and be born again in Christ. 

 In our own strength, we do not have power to set ourselves free as we are fighting spiritual forces in heavenly places that are working against us in following the law.  Ever notice how speaking freely of Jesus and the Kingdom creates opposition? It is these underlying spiritual forces at work.

 Elemental is related to or embodying the underlying primary powers of nature, or demonic entity or force that can be physically manifested.   An example of this from the Bible is the tradition of following rigorous rules for the Sabbath, that if not followed, could get you kicked out of the Synagogue.    Jesus confronted these forces continuously.  He would heal someone and rather than rejoice, the religious folks would become offended and upset by it.   He didn’t wash his hands before eating and then when He offended others by this, he confronted the religious leaders for washing the outside of the cup but failing to be clean on the inside.   Paul confronted people who demanded that gentile Christians had to be circumcised to be saved.  

 These forces were underneath and had a natural opposition to the Spirit.  They would influence people to stone and judge others while feeling self-righteous.  They would influence people to become offended with rules rather than celebrate life.  It was these forces that influenced Judas to steal and betray Jesus and then later to commit suicide.  These forces were also behind people wanting to stone and crucify Jesus.  On the cross, these forces mocked Him.

Paul tells people to move away from being influenced by these forces or bowing down to them.  Rather, they were to live in freedom from these constraints that would try to get them to conform with others and self-imposed rules.  Rather, they should live in the freedom to follow the Spirit of God

Paul goes on to explain, “Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or Sabbath day.  These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.”  (Colossians 2:16-17)

It is through Christ, that the Spirit sets us free from the law of sin and death.  What we are powerless to do by our flesh, God did by sending Jesus as a sin offering so we could live feely by the Spirit. However, while free, we still make a choice with how we set our minds – on flesh desires or Spirit desires.  When we live out of the realm of the flesh, we cannot please God. 

When we live by the Spirit, we live by different rules and they are completely oppositional to the spirit of this age.  As the great dragon [accuser of others] was hurled down to earth [who leads the whole world astray], there has been this war that broke out in the unseen realm. (Revelation 12 9-12)

With this spiritual war going behind the scenes, you can feel the spirit of the age when the Spirit of God is taking ground for His Kingdom.   With these things of opposition, I have to remind myself that God’s leadership is best and He is in full control.  Jesus told Pontius Pilot that he couldn’t do anything that wasn’t being allowed by His Father.   Jesus allows things in my life to humble me or position me.  As I wrote about some weeks ago, the oil comes by the pressing and crushing.  As I feel crushed, sometimes it leads to incredible blessings.  

But these oppositional forces are real. Even telling someone about Jesus or sharing a testimony, I can feel these oppositional forces.  Just recently, I was sharing with a few leaders about my phone as it somehow came up.  It was the weirdest situation but it was broken when I accidently rolled my mom’s wheelchair over it was later healed completely without a crack.   I had a hard time sharing it because I could feel the opposition.  One of these leaders suggested I share it with everyone and my instant reaction was ‘no way.’  I am not sure why other than the fear of resistance or feeling this oppositional force.   Yet, if God would heal my cracked phone, how much more would He freely heal others?

“I will sing of Your greatness all my days” sings in the background.

I once had a pair of pants that I loved that were ruined by bleach.  I leaned over on an area I was bleaching at a center that fed the homeless and my black pants had a large spot where the color changed to light. I was disappointed but then when I finished cleaning up, I looked down and the bleached spot was gone.  My pants were fully black again.  

These are just little touches of the Lord’s love and ways that He lets me know that He is still around me, working in my life, and always moving in power in ways that only He can.  It brings me such delight.  But at the same time, sharing spiritual testimonies, I feel the opposition and skepticism of the world so I don't share these two testimonies often.  I allow this spirit of the world, elemental spiritual forces, to shut me down.  I just hate the feeling of opposition.

“I will bless the Lord” sings.

Lord, forgive me for allowing these forces to push me back or control me in any way.  I long for Your Kingdom to come in full power.  Let us not be influenced by the things of the world, but by Your Spirit and love.  Let us live for another Kingdom and share the truth with every opportunity that You give to us.


Comments

Popular Posts