Thoughts on Fenelon, "Let God," To a Friend Cornered by God

Often what really bothers me in others is something that I struggle with myself. What I find really bothers me lately is self-love. When I see it in others, I become irritated and critical of them. This is because I am struggling myself with self-love and rather than pushing it out in the open and dealing with it, I am trying to make it go away by burying it.

Fenelon notes that what self love fears most is being pushed out in the open and exposed. However, this is exactly the tool that will destroy this false self’s stronghold on our heart. When self-love is exposed I need to allow it to be exposed and repent of it rather than trying to bury it.

As Fenelon notes, what I really want is to make the pain go away. But it is not the pain the must go away but the self-love. Rather than running after the quick fix, trying to escape, cover or distract, I need to open myself up fully to God and die to self. Fenelon writes “Commit yourself to embrace God’s affliction… Don’t ask for some way out. Don’t ask for a quick fix… Be still. Let it go and leave it in God’s hands.”

Self love comes up as concern for self in situations. I may become angry when wronged, be touchy, see others as imposing upon me, see opportunities to serve as an inconvenience, become impatient with others, etc. Whenever I am looking for how I can be blessed rather than how God can make me a blessing in a situation, self-love is at the root.

Even when I am focused upon how I can receive from God rather than how I can contribute to other’s lives, self love is at the root. Rather than spending the energy I need to pour out into others and really make a contribution in their lives, I am looking at what might be in it for me. Even doing service and ministry for God is with wrong motives if I am looking at what is in it for me or expecting acknowledgment for my efforts.

In the parable of the good Samaritan, the priest and Levite were in ministry for what was in it for them. Their actions exposed what was in their heart. They wanted prosperity, honor, recognition and comfort. When nobody was looking, they failed to acknowledge the man who suffered because it was outside of what was important to them – their priority was self. The Samaritan had learned the joy of giving and serving others. His heart was also exposed by his actions when no one was looking (mercy for others). He acknowledged the wounded man and served him because this was his priority. He was free of self-love so he saw the opportunity in it. What he had of wealth, time and resources he considered as a gift available to help others.

Change my paradigm Lord! Help me to see the way you see! I long to be pure in heart so I may see God in every face you put before me. Forgive me that I am so full of self.

I think of Lot and how he started out prosperous when he parted ways with Abram. Yet on his own, he made no impact on the Kingdom of God. He only escaped Sodom with His life and spent the rest of his days drinking wine, living in a cave and sleeping with his daughters. Abram, however, was more and more fruitful no matter where he went. I long to learn to be fruitful wherever you put me. Help me to realize that it is not where you plant me that determines my fruitfulness but my willingness to love, give and serve others.

Comments

Popular Posts