Give Your Entire Attention to What God is Doing

Matthew 6:34
"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."

In Dr. Spencer Johnson's book called "The Present" is a story of a young man's journey to adulthood and his search for The Present that he heard about from an old man as being the best gift a person could receive. Later, the boy finds out that The Present is the present moment.

Each of us have this wonderful gift that is placed before us -we can choose to rest in the present moment with God. Matthew 7:13, 14 says, “Don't look for shortcuts to God... The way to life -to God!- is vigorous and requires total attention.”

Nothing I do, nothing I say, nothing I receive, nothing I obtain will bring me true joy. It is in God's presence, being present to Him in the moment, that there is fullness of joy (Psalm 16:11). Too often, however, we trade the present in to wallow in regrets of the past or worry and agonize over what might come about in the future. It is difficult to learn to be present to Him in the moment.

In Philippians 4:6,7 Paul says, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Spencer notes that we knew how to live in the present when we were young. We would give our full attention to whatever was in front of us in the moment. One of my pastors mentioned this in his sermon on rest this last weekend -that his child could be very active but still be at rest. Kids trust and are at rest because they know they are being taken care of. Living in the present requires one to be in a place of rest, trusting that our needs will be met.

Living in the present means tuning out distractions and paying attention to what is important now.1 When someone is speaking, we need to let go of our thoughts and make a concerted effort to listen and be engaged. Rather than allowing oneself to be distracted, one truly values and respects another person when they are fully present with them in the moment. Asking questions and looking for what one can do to help are also ways of expressing a genuine interest.

Spencer notes that even in difficult situations, we can stay present and be happier if we focus on what is right in the moment. He notes that seeing what is right gives us needed energy and confidence to deal with what is wrong.

Philippians 4:8 says, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”

I find that when I am in a difficult situation, I am sometimes trying to figure out how to get it to work out in a way that is more comfortable for me. However, in Matthew 5:37b (MSG) Jesus says, “When you manipulate words to get your own way, you go wrong.” It is always wrong to try to manipulate a situation to my own agenda/outcome.

Another thing I do, is to agonize over what went wrong after a difficult or uncomfortable situation is over. Spencer notes that “It is hard to let go of the past if you have not learned from the past. As soon as you learn and let go you improve the present.” He notes that people often worry about mistakes they made or are afraid they might make.

Negative thoughts about the past or the future rob us of joy.2 These are times we need to sift through our negative emotions and learn from our experiences. When we stuff our negative emotions and try to put them behind us without dealing with them, we fail to gain what they have to teach us. Spencer writes that what we learn from our past can be used to improve the present. At the same time, we need to give ourselves grace and not dwell on past regrets.

Whenever we are living in the future, we open ourselves up to worry, anxiety and false expectations. As Spencer writes, “No one can predict or control the future. However, the more you plan for what you want to see happen, the less anxious you are about the present, and the more the future is known to you.”

When we fail to set goals or have any plans and objectives in life, we end up putting the wrong priorities first. One needs to have a vision for the future and a realistic plan of action with established goals for moving towards it. While this takes time, energy and thought, one will never accomplish their dreams without being willing to make the investment. Spencer notes that learning from the past, planning for the future and living in the present is like a tripod that requires balance to get a clear picture.

Also, when we allow our mind to run wild and anticipate negative outcomes, we shrink back in the present from opportunities. Our lives become smaller rather than larger. When we fail to trust God and others, we respond negatively in the present and live out less than what God has for us.

Matthew 6:22-23 says, “If you open your eyes wide in wonder and belief, your body fills up with light. If you live squinty-eyed in greed and distrust, your body is a dank cellar. If you pull the blinds on your windows, what a dark life you will have!”

My mother had a shitzu that would run under the table, hide and shake in fear any time family would come to her house. No matter how hard we tried to make friends, he never would come out of hiding or trust any of us. The dog had a relationship with my mother but missed out on any family involvement. The next Shitzu my mother had was totally the opposite. Any time her shitzu would see people, she would run up, sit down by them and give them the “I'm really cute and cuddly look.” Even neighbors of my mother will run out to say hi to her dog. The dog is like one of the family. She gets really excited any time any of us come to visit and is never left out of anything.

Finally, Spencer writes that living in the present while learning from the past and planning for the future is not all there is - it is only when we live with purpose our lives take on meaning. As he notes, how we respond in the moment depends on our purpose. He writes, “When you live and work with purpose, and respond to what is important now, you are more able to lead, manage, support befriend, and love... Success is becoming who you are capable of being. And progressing toward worthwhile goals. Each of us defines for ourselves what it means to be successful.”

Our individual purpose and how we define success looks different in each one of our lives. For me, my heart's desire is to “dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.” I long to live a life that communes with God and shares His heart, every moment. I remember standing in the middle of my previous pastor's prayer room with tears streaming down my eyes. I so longed to have an intimate relationship with God like she had. I saw the way that through her God touched and changed the lives of everyone she came in contact with. She brought God into every encounter with people.

At work, developing the people around me is something that gives me purpose. A previous boss had an incredible impact on my life. He believed in me and made room for me to grow and develop in my gifts. Without him, I would not be where I am today. Because of his influence, it gave me a desire to be in leadership where I could make room for others to develop.

Besides being a woman of prayer, my previous pastor was deeply committed to her family. She put her family first and was an incredibly devoted wife and mother. She was constantly building up her husband and her children admired her and wanted to be more like her. She deeply inspired me on living the gospel first and foremost in my family relationships.

Lord,
Reawaken purpose in my heart and give me a fresh desire to follow after you. Revive me. Please draw me into fellowship with you and show me how to live life to the fullest, giving you my entire attention in the moment. Teach me to rest, trust you and live life to the fullest.


1Johnson, Spencer, M.D. The Present, Doubleday. 2003
2Johnson, Spencer, M.D. The Present, Doubleday. 2003

Comments

Popular Posts