le sein de Dieu

Psalm 37:7a says, “Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him...”

We can be at peace in our lives in the midst of even great turmoil when we rest in God's heart, “abandoning ourselves to his providence and ever maintaining a sweet awareness of his mercy. When we do this, we are no longer seeking anything for ourselves, and our entire being rests in Him."1

Paul is an example of someone who lived out of this place of rest. His life was full of turmoil and difficulties, yet they did not cause Paul to waiver in his faith or back down. Paul was confident in the love and care of his Savior. He rested deeply in it.

Paul didn't complain, mumble or groan about his difficult circumstances. He rejoiced in everything (Philipians 4:4). In Philippians 4:13, Paul wrote that he learned the secret to being content in any circumstance - he could do all things through Christ who strengthened him.

Paul reminded the Ephesian elders in Acts 20:19-20 that through trials and plots of the Jews, he did not shrink back or hold anything back in declaring the truth of the gospel to them. He goes on to tell them that he was going to Jerusalem, not knowing what would happened to him except that imprisonment and afflictions awaited him (verses 22-23).

Paul boldly lived and preached the gospel without hesitation in the midst of painful and difficult circumstances. Paul kept his eyes on Jesus and being faithful to complete the work that he was given to do. When Paul faced difficulties, he didn't stop and spend his energy looking for a way to escape or debate over what he must have done wrong to get there, he kept pressing in and forward, trusting God to deliver him.

Paul knew deeply Psalm 18:17-19, “He rescued me from my strong enemy and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me.”

Paul did not grow faint or weary in the battle because he was resting in Christ. Paul told the church in Philippians 4:6-7, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

A key to the rest and peace that Paul had was that he did not account his life of any value to himself. His sole focus was to complete the work that was given to him through Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God (Acts 20:24).

Paul did not have an agenda outside of serving God and seeing His will done and His kingdom come. One cannot serve both their own ambitions and the Kingdom of God and find a place of rest. As Fenelon notes, it is when we are no longer seeking anything for ourselves that our entire being will come to rest in Him.

James tells us in James 4:4, “Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God?” As Fenelon notes, what we “leave behind are our faltering and troubled rationalizations, our desires for ourselves, our impatience to gain a higher place.” And, as we do this, we find rest in the heart of God.

David cries out in Psalm 131, “O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.”

As Fenelon notes, God is the one who puts us there by his own hands, cradling us in his arms. God will lift us into this place of rest as we let go of our ambitions and desire only Him and His will. It is nothing that we force or make happen, but as a father gathers a child in his arms, so our Father gathers us as we are willing and open to receive his love, letting go of the cares and dependencies on the world.

Father, I long to rest near your heart. There were times this last week that were so difficult for me. I didn't know how I could go on. But I also realize that it was “friendship with the world” and my own self interests that got me into trouble. As it says in James 4:7-8, “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.”

Forgive me where I have been double minded and thought I could seek desires in the world at the same time as seeking you. What a waste to spend my energies laboring for what perishes. Purify my heart and draw me near you. Strengthen me to let go of all ambitions of the world. I long to live in the place of rest close to your heart.


1. Fenelon, Francois. Meditations on the Heart of God. Translated by Robert J. Edmonson. 1997. Paraclete Press. Brewster, MA.

Comments

Popular Posts